Discuss Has anybody got a copy of the document..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening fellas

Has anybody got a copy of the document or section of a document which states the landlord or building owners responsibility to keep the electrical installation safe, ect

or point me to where it is in the regs

Cheers

Mike

A free booklet created by the Electrical Safety Council entitled - 'Landlords Guide To Electrical Safety'.

This is a great guide and is a useful source of reference for a Spark.

They will post you a free copy or you can get a download from their website: www.esc.org.uk

it wont be in the bs7671 , it has nothing to do with landlords responsibilities.
Local Authority guidelines for rented properties will take precedent.
Will be also covered by a statutory H&S instrument somewhere but finding it is another thing.

As Biff said, local authority for rules on landlords.
This document points you in the general direction of acts, but nothing as specific as you are looking for I feel.

I think the reality is that they are under no obligation to do anything, and statutory documents only come out to play when the brown stuff hits the spinning thing.
I think the biggest pressure to test and keep their properties up to scratch comes from their insurance companies, when they are bothered.

As we have a lot of students up here in sunny Durham, there are loads of student lets.

I may have this wrong but I'm sure all the letting agencies / private landlords go through a student union type allocation of digs. They insist on up to date electricity EICR's and gas certs otherwise your property doesn't get on the list.
Not a bad thing.

Rental on the private market is probably open to the normal abuses.

Cheers fellas

I should of said it was more commercial I was after,old industrial estate owned by the MOD, they are forcing the tenants to get EICR done but I always thought it was the owners responsibility

Cheers fellas

I should of said it was more commercial I was after,old industrial estate owned by the MOD, they are forcing the tenants to get EICR done but I always thought it was the owners responsibility

Commercial property can have different leasing arrangements and conditions these can include making the tenant liable for ALL maintenance and repairs to the building. I know one situation where the tenant is liable for the internal maintenance and the landlord the external maintenance except where damage is caused by a break in or attempted break in.

Problem with EICR's in commercial property is how do you separate the landlords basic installation and the tenants installation that suits their business needs

This reminds me of a job the other week in where a private landlord wanting electric heaters fitting. Anyway bonding was non existent no RCD in site. Any chatting to Landlord and said in order to fit and cert id need to update bonding and RCD my work.. The guy said what if I pay cash and you don't issue a cert... Oh well I said like that is it.. So you dont want the work I do to comply with the regs and the code 2 deviation (Bonding) to be corrected prior to the work commencing.. Nope the guy says I want the job doing as cheep as possible... Right Ok pal..

I just walked. However the guy rang back as they only work on an everning... Turn out he fitted himself and connected to the night supply instead.... Retuned did the job property and quoted seriously top dollar for the days work..

Tenant was happy as they now have heating and I am happy as I have stuck two fingers up to this guy who wanted to cut corners to save money but ended costing him hell of a lot more..

There is a lot of this round of west end of Newcastle, Private landlords that there install would have no hope in hell passing a EICR yet they have them rented out all over the place..

Reply to Has anybody got a copy of the document..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net