Discuss Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GED8006

DIY
Reaction score
I need advice regarding an electronic problem on my Hayward Power-flo Matrix pool pump.

I notice that :

1. Neutral wire from source has become hot and cracked
2. Burn spots are present on the electronic board:
  • Under resistance R1
  • On the motor connection
  • On neutral wire connection
3. Switch connectors have cracked, possibly heated

I marked on the photos my observations in red.

During the last days of operation, it took a little time to start from the switch. However, the pump was working fine. Neither the GFCI outlet nor the house breaker turned off the pump.

I need help to direct my investigations and fix it.

Where to start the diagnosis?

Attachments

• Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose BackBoardBurnSpot - EletriciansForums.net
    BackBoardBurnSpot.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose BurnSwitchWire - EletriciansForums.net
    BurnSwitchWire.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose BurnWhiteWire - EletriciansForums.net
    BurnWhiteWire.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose FrontBoardBurnSpot - EletriciansForums.net
    FrontBoardBurnSpot.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose MotorSpecs - EletriciansForums.net
    MotorSpecs.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose PoolPumpModel - EletriciansForums.net
    PoolPumpModel.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 8
The unit appears to be 12 years old and might have had significant runtime. Two likely causes of burnt crimp terminals exist: motor overload / winding failure or high resistance contact at the terminals themselves. Because the pump appeared to function normally and nothing tripped, and the heating seems to have been occurring for a while, it seems likely that bad contact at the connectors themselves is to blame. The motor's rated line current is around the maximum this style of connector can handle, so it doesn't take much degradation of the contact quality to raise the resistance to the point where overheating occurs. E.g if moisture has entered the housing and caused some oxidation of the plating, or that particular batch of connectors was not the tightest.

There is no reason to expect anything to trip as a result, as high-resistance connections will decrease, not increase, the line current. Evidently the insulation damage did not result in a fault to ground.

The discolouration caused by heating at the solder joints of resistor R1 is probably unrelated and normal. Power resistors like this are often marginally specced and run a little hotter than ideal, to save the maker a few cents. It is the dropper resistor that powers the electronics on the board.

If the existing unit is to be repaired, i would first energise the motor and measure its line current to rule out the possibility of an underlying fault. It would then be necessary to make excellent connections - better than the originals - to avoid a rapid recurrence of the problem. I.e. if the terminals were prone to overheating without any corrosion on the wires or contact blades, they will be more prone now. The PCB is rated for a 15A load but from experience these connectors are simply not reliable at that current.

The unit appears to be 12 years old and might have had significant runtime. Two likely causes of burnt crimp terminals exist: motor overload / winding failure or high resistance contact at the terminals themselves. Because the pump appeared to function normally and nothing tripped, and the heating seems to have been occurring for a while, it seems likely that bad contact at the connectors themselves is to blame. The motor's rated line current is around the maximum this style of connector can handle, so it doesn't take much degradation of the contact quality to raise the resistance to the point where overheating occurs. E.g if moisture has entered the housing and caused some oxidation of the plating, or that particular batch of connectors was not the tightest.

There is no reason to expect anything to trip as a result, as high-resistance connections will decrease, not increase, the line current. Evidently the insulation damage did not result in a fault to ground.

The discolouration caused by heating at the solder joints of resistor R1 is probably unrelated and normal. Power resistors like this are often marginally specced and run a little hotter than ideal, to save the maker a few cents. It is the dropper resistor that powers the electronics on the board.

If the existing unit is to be repaired, i would first energise the motor and measure its line current to rule out the possibility of an underlying fault. It would then be necessary to make excellent connections - better than the originals - to avoid a rapid recurrence of the problem. I.e. if the terminals were prone to overheating without any corrosion on the wires or contact blades, they will be more prone now. The PCB is rated for a 15A load but from experience these connectors are simply not reliable at that current.

Thank you for these detailed explanations. It's appreciated.

Following this reading, I checked the connections and the one going from the board to the motor is loose. With very little effort, the connector detached from the wire. Your hypothesis could seem to be confirmed.

How could I improve these connections? By removing the connectors and soldering the wires directly to the board?

Unfortunately I can't test the motor current line as it will exceed my multimeter's 10 amp limit. Alternatively, I was thinking of testing the resistance of the winding but I'm still looking for an example for a split phase motor (without a capacitor). But maybe it's a bad idea or not necessary???

Attachments

• Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose PXL_20230329_121436178 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230329_121436178.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 4
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose PXL_20230329_121622240 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230329_121622240.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 3
  • Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose PXL_20230329_181722605 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230329_181722605.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 4
How could I improve these connections? By removing the connectors and soldering the wires directly to the board?

If it doesn't make it too hard to manoeuvre the board, that would certainly solve any high-resistance issues and it's the sort of thing I would do if I didn't expect anyone else to have to service the unit in the future.

I'd scrape away any blackened board between the terminals as well. If the blackening (carbonised) area goes right through, consider cutting a slot with something like a small bit in a Dremel.

Reply to Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pool Pump: Electrical problem to diagnose in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock