Discuss Older home with no grounding system and pool pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

nncognito

DIY
Reaction score
Installing a small above ground pool with a 1/2HP 120v pool pump. The house is older and has no grounding system that I can tell. Outlets are two prong. I know I need a gfci outlet to plug pump into but will this be safe and work as intended with no grounding system and only a hot and neutral wire hooked to outlet? Thank you for any help.

Installing a small above ground pool with a 1/2HP 120v pool pump. The house is older and has no grounding system that I can tell. Outlets are two prong. I know I need a gfci outlet to plug pump into but will this be safe and work as intended with no grounding system and only a hot and neutral wire hooked to outlet? Thank you for any help.
Yes it should still work and you can legally install a 3 wire receptacle without a ground but you have to put a label on it stating no equipment ground.

Hi. Although as Megawatt has mentioned it maybe legal to install a 3 wire receptacale without a ground, I wouldn't say it was advisable to do so, especially where a water pump is concerned. If it's at all possible to provide the gfci outlet with a ground connection, possibly using a copper rod in the ground, that would be a good idea.

Hi. Although as Megawatt has mentioned it maybe legal to install a 3 wire receptacale without a ground, I wouldn't say it was advisable to do so, especially where a water pump is concerned. If it's at all possible to provide the gfci outlet with a ground connection, possibly using a copper rod in the ground, that would be a good idea.
In a house with no ground that shouldn’t be a problem

Reply to Older home with no grounding system and pool pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net