Discuss Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Ok, thank you, I understand. I will bleed the radiators first and see if there are any further problems first. I have the hot water switched on constantly sometimes - Could that maybe be the cause of the problem?

There has been an issue with low water pressure in the bathrooms since moving home - Could that also be due to the radiators needing to be bled?

The house water pressure won't affect your heating system pressure - they are not connected, apart from when you top up you heating system using the black filling valve.

The house water pressure won't affect your heating system pressure - they are not connected, apart from when you top up you heating system using the black filling valve.

Ok thank you - Is there anything I can try to make the bathroom water pressure better?

Ok thank you - Is there anything I can try to make the bathroom water pressure better?

Might just be generally low in your area - speak to neighbours to see what theirs is like. If not then make sure your stoptap is fully open (but give it half a turn back in to prevent it sticking).

Sorry, is it just the bathroom? If so then do you have individual isolators for the taps?

Might just be generally low in your area - speak to neighbours to see what theirs is like. If not then make sure your stoptap is fully open (but give it half a turn back in to prevent it sticking).

Sorry, is it just the bathroom? If so then do you have individual isolators for the taps?

When you say stoptap, do you mean the main water stopcock?

Yes just the bathrooms, the other sink taps in bathrooms and other areas of house have an ok pressure... There is an electric shower in the WC and another electric shower in en-suite, and the main bathroom has shower attachment to taps on the bath. Both of the electric showers have very poor water flow pressure, and the shower attachment on the bath taps is very poor pressure too.... The bath taps themselves and the sink taps are ok.... I have replaced the shower head on the bath with a new "power shower head", but still very poor water pressure through the shower heads.

I am not sure what you man about isolators for the taps? Do you mean electrical isolators?... The shower attachment attached to bath taps has a switch to alternate between taps & the show head. The other 2 showers are electric wall fitted shower units.

He means something like a ball valve on the pipework that can shut off individual taps.

Your heating… the boiler, radiators and pressure vessel is a closed system that has nothing to do with the pressure at your taps and shower.

We do have a sister forum here so maybe register and ask the question there?

We’re clever, but we do like to let the plumbers answer a few questions now and again. 😂

Might be worth changing one of the showers from an electric one to a mixer type fed from the combi. You will get better pressure and a much better shower.

I was meaning small isolators on the pipes feeding the taps - nothing electrical. Similar to the black one on your heating, but with a screw slot to operate.

He means something like a ball valve on the pipework that can shut off individual taps.

Your heating… the boiler, radiators and pressure vessel is a closed system that has nothing to do with the pressure at your taps and shower.

We do have a sister forum here so maybe register and ask the question there?

We’re clever, but we do like to let the plumbers answer a few questions now and again. 😂

Thank you - Is there any way you could tag other plumbers to save having to register on another forum?

Might be worth changing one of the showers from an electric one to a mixer type fed from the combi. You will get better pressure and a much better shower.

I was meaning small isolators on the pipes feeding the taps - nothing electrical. Similar to the black one on your heating, but with a screw slot to operate.

It's a rented property, so I won't be spending any more than a few pounds for a new shower head (which i've already done) and will probably be moving home again in the near future.

I can't wash my hair properly because of the low shower pressure on the bath... Might be better washing/flushing my hair in the toilet, although come to think of it, the toilet flushing pressure is also poor.

Would the isolators for the pipes feeding the taps be in the same cupboard where the hot water tank is? I cannot see any other valves / taps / screw slots in there, other than the black tap for the pressure guage.

It's a rented property, so I won't be spending any more than a few pounds for a new shower head (which i've already done) and will probably be moving home again in the near future.

I can't wash my hair properly because of the low shower pressure on the bath... Might be better washing/flushing my hair in the toilet, although come to think of it, the toilet flushing pressure is also poor.

Would the isolators for the pipes feeding the taps be in the same cupboard where the hot water tank is? I cannot see any other valves / taps / screw slots in there, other than the black tap for the pressure guage.

Isolating valves for individual taps are typically located in the pipework close to the taps. Some may look like your mains stopcock, but generally they're small ball valves with a slotted head on the side which opens and closes with a quarter turn.

There are a number of reasons why bathroom water pressure is low, some of which could be related to water heating, but others entirely unrelated. At this point we'd be blindly firing possibilities at you and probably causing considerable confusion, just as a group of plumbers might if faced with electrical conundrums. Members on the plumbing forum will be able to ask pointed questions which hone in on the most likely causes of these problems.

A very common cause of pressure loss in the heating system is a leaking PRV (pressure release valve). That's the thing with the red conical knob, just behind the pressure gauge.
The copper pipe to the left of the PRV, running slightly downhill and then forwards, should go outside and have an open end, like an overflow pipe. If there is water occasionally dripping from it, then the PRV is the problem.

Reactions: DPG
A very common cause of pressure loss in the heating system is a leaking PRV (pressure release valve). That's the thing with the red conical knob, just behind the pressure gauge.
The copper pipe to the left of the PRV, running slightly downhill and then forwards, should go outside and have an open end, like an overflow pipe. If there is water occasionally dripping from it, then the PRV is the problem.

Good shout. Can't believe I never thought of that, especially since I've had to replace the one on my previous boiler!

Thank you again for the replies. So have found the problem - One of the bedroom radiators has a tiny pinhole leak from the pipe that leads to the radiator. The pipes leading to the radiators go along the wall beside the radiators and through the wall. From what I can see the leak is coming from one of the nuts on the pipe leading to the radiator.

I have wrapped the hole/leak with waterproof tape and wrapped a towel around it for now to try to stop the leak, and have turned off the heat control knob for that radiator. Is there anything else I can try to stop the leak - Should I try to tighten the nut where the leak is coming from? Or is there any other valve I can switch off somewhere on the radiator?

Thank you again for the replies. So have found the problem - One of the bedroom radiators has a tiny pinhole leak from the pipe that leads to the radiator. The pipes leading to the radiators go along the wall beside the radiators and through the wall. From what I can see the leak is coming from one of the nuts on the pipe leading to the radiator.

I have wrapped the hole/leak with waterproof tape and wrapped a towel around it for now to try to stop the leak, and have turned off the heat control knob for that radiator. Is there anything else I can try to stop the leak - Should I try to tighten the nut where the leak is coming from? Or is there any other valve I can switch off somewhere on the radiator?

Difficult to say. You could try tightening it, but don't over do it. Try and hold the radiator valve body with an adjustable spanner while you do it. The valve will have a flat section to allow this.

Have a jug/bucket/cloths ready just in case. And an assistant!

Difficult to say. You could try tightening it, but don't over do it. Try and hold the radiator valve body with an adjustable spanner while you do it. The valve will have a flat section to allow this.

The temperature control knob is on the opposite side of radiator. Does the other smaller knob, on opposite side to radiator have any purpose at all?

To try to tighten the nut on the pipe near the radiator, where the leak is coming from, do I turn the nut to the right, or the left? As do not want to loosen it by mistake.

The temperature control knob is on the opposite side of radiator. Does the other smaller knob, on opposite side to radiator have any purpose at all?

To try to tighten the nut on the pipe near the radiator, do I turn it to the right, or the left? As do not want to loosen it by mistake.

The valve on the other side is called a lockshield valve, and it is used when balancing the radiators so that they all give equal heat out. You wouldn't adjust it yourself.

The threads are standard right hand threads, so tighten as you would a normal nut on a bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net