Discuss Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valve on the other side is called a lockshield valve, and it is used when balancing the radiators so that they all give equal heat out. You wouldn't adjust it yourself.

The threads are standard right hand threads, so tighten as you would a normal nut on a bolt.

I am not experienced with tightening nuts in general, but I do have a tool box... I do not want to cause a flood by loosening the nut.... Is it generally left for loose and right for tight?

I am not experienced with tightening nuts in general, but I do have a tool box... I do not want to cause a flood by loosening the nut.... Is it generally left for loose and right for tight?

Clockwise to tighten.

May be worth getting someone in to be honest. Not necessarily a plumber, but a decent handyman.

The risk is fairly small, but there is a chance things may go wrong.

Most radiator valves have two nuts - one to the pipe and one to the radiator. Both are tightened clockwise when facing the valve.

Here is a photo - The leaking nut is underneath the black tape. So facing the nut from the same angle the photo was taken, do I tighten it to the right, towards the wall?

Is there any way I can isolate the water flow to that pipe, without shutting off the water supply for entire house?

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
RENTED!

Get the landlord to deal with it.

1. He pays
2. If it goes wrong, it his responsibility.

Reactions: DPG
RENTED!

Get the landlord to deal with it.

1. He pays
2. If it goes wrong, it his responsibility.

Thank you - Yes you are right, it is the landlords responsibility. But some landlords can get quite nasty with complaints about disrepair and sometimes results in retaliatory eviction...

Also, it takes time to arrange any professional to attend the property, and if it wasn't for the speedy replies on this forum encouraging me to try the black tap with more force, then I would have had no heating at all for at least another 1-2 days, which would have caused me huge problems due to severe health conditions.

If the problem is something simple that I might be able to rectify myself easily, with little cost, then I would prefer to do that. Having to call out a professional to the property, whether paid for by myself or the landlord, is also really inconvenient, as I also then have to block time off from work.

Maybe tightening the nut might not work, and I might have to report to landlord, but I would prefer to try, as it might rectify the problem.... Could anyone please just confirm which direction I should try to tighten the nut? As am worried about unscrewing it and causing massive flooding.

Last edited:
righty tighty, lefty loosey

not all landlords are evil land barons... They might actually have a service plan in place that covers repairs

not all landlords are evil land barons... They might actually have a service plan in place that covers repairs

Absolutely. Landlords seem to be a popular target of hate these days, but I could tell you a couple of stories about some interesting tenants!

Sadly, in my personal experiences, 90% of landlords (and their managing agents) actually are.... Have been a landlord myself in the past and would never in a million years have ever treated my tenants the way I have been treated by some..

Righty tighty I will try...

Absolutely. Landlords seem to be a popular target of hate these days, but I could tell you a couple of stories about some interesting tenants!

I am sure, but I could guarantee that as my experiences of a private tenant, I could absolutely trump those stories. The "rouge" landlords far outweigh the good ones unfortunately.

I am sure, but I could guarantee that as my experiences of a private tenant, I could absolutely trump those stories. The "rouge" landlords far outweigh the good ones unfortunately.

I'm out of this thread. Bye.

I'm out of this thread. Bye.

Sorry you feel that way... Your judgment towards me seems to have changed since I stated that I was a tenant, rather than homeowner... Discrimination is very sad, and very unfounded.

Could anybody please advise - I currently have the heating control knob for the leaking radiator turned off, but I really do need heat in that room... Does having the heating control knob for that radiator turned on or off make any difference at all to the water leak from the nut on the pipe?

Sorry you feel that way... Your judgment towards me seems to have changed since I stated that I was a tenant, rather than homeowner... Discrimination is very sad, and very unfounded.

Could anybody please advise - I currently have the heating control knob for the leaking radiator turned off, but I really do need heat in that room... Does having the heating control knob for that radiator turned on or off make any difference at all to the water leak from the nut on the pipe?

I apologise. I didn't mean to come across that way. Ignore my previous comment. I've been reading a few anti-landlord comments on a BBC news story comments.

Stay on here - you'll get good advice.

I apologise. I didn't mean to come across that way. Ignore my previous comment. I've been reading a few anti-landlord comments on a BBC news story comments.

Stay on here - you'll get good advice.

Thank you - I appreciate your reply... I have been a landlord myself in the past, and the fact that I currently pay rent instead of mortgage repayment doesn't make me any less of a decent human being.

I wouldn't want to get into any debate about current national Landlord / Tenant issues or laws at the moment, as my personal experiences have not been good, there is a national housing crisis, and would prefer to just focus on the leaking radiator problem.

If I turn the heating control knob back up on the leaking radiator, would that make the leak any worse at all?... I just need immediate heat, until the problem can be properly sorted out.

• Friendly
if you desperately need immediate heat from that radiator, you only have one option.

turn on the radiator valves, it will leak and you will have to collect or deal with the water that is coming out.

the boiler will slowly lose pressure as the water leaks, so you will have to continue to top up the system when the pressure drops.

the correct and final fix is to replace the item that is leaking, it may be a pipe or a valve, or a radiator.
realistically, if you intend to do it yourself, you must identify the failed component and replace it with a new one.

if not then it is a case of report it to the land lord and wait for a permanent repair, NOTE- this does not prevent you from constantly topping up the system so that it continues to work.
however, be aware that leaks can cause other damage so must be contained.

The most likely cause of the leak is that the radiator has been knocked and has moved on its brackets, and a quarter turn or less of the nut will solve the problem, although the black tape is worrying. Was that there before the current leak?

if you desperately need immediate heat from that radiator, you only have one option.

turn on the radiator valves, it will leak and you will have to collect or deal with the water that is coming out.

the boiler will slowly lose pressure as the water leaks, so you will have to continue to top up the system when the pressure drops.

the correct and final fix is to replace the item that is leaking, it may be a pipe or a valve, or a radiator.
realistically, if you intend to do it yourself, you must identify the failed component and replace it with a new one.

if not then it is a case of report it to the land lord and wait for a permanent repair, NOTE- this does not prevent you from constantly topping up the system so that it continues to work.
however, be aware that leaks can cause other damage so must be contained.

Thank you - I switched the radiator temperature control off to zero, but is still leaking. When you say "radiator valves" are there any other radiator valves / knobs I can switch off, other than the temperature control knob?

The most likely cause of the leak is that the radiator has been knocked and has moved on its brackets, and a quarter turn or less of the nut will solve the problem, although the black tape is worrying. Was that there before the current leak?

Thank You - I don't think the radiator has been knocked or moved. No the black tape was wrapped around the nut by me today... There was a small pinhole leak spraying onto the wall from the nut.... Despite the tape, it is still leaking, but is now dripping down into a saucepan I have placed underneath the leak.

There was no leak before and the nut where the leak is spraying from looks to be a bit rusted / corroded.... I haven't yet been brave enough to try to tighten the nut, as am worried about turning the nut the wrong way and flooding the room.

If there's any sign of corrosion it's been leaking for a while, although maybe not as fast. The corrosion will also make the nut harder to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net