Discuss Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The valve on the other side is called a lockshield valve, and it is used when balancing the radiators so that they all give equal heat out. You wouldn't adjust it yourself.

The threads are standard right hand threads, so tighten as you would a normal nut on a bolt.

I am not experienced with tightening nuts in general, but I do have a tool box... I do not want to cause a flood by loosening the nut.... Is it generally left for loose and right for tight?

I am not experienced with tightening nuts in general, but I do have a tool box... I do not want to cause a flood by loosening the nut.... Is it generally left for loose and right for tight?

Clockwise to tighten.

May be worth getting someone in to be honest. Not necessarily a plumber, but a decent handyman.

The risk is fairly small, but there is a chance things may go wrong.

Most radiator valves have two nuts - one to the pipe and one to the radiator. Both are tightened clockwise when facing the valve.

Here is a photo - The leaking nut is underneath the black tape. So facing the nut from the same angle the photo was taken, do I tighten it to the right, towards the wall?

Is there any way I can isolate the water flow to that pipe, without shutting off the water supply for entire house?

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 11
RENTED!

Get the landlord to deal with it.

1. He pays
2. If it goes wrong, it his responsibility.

Reactions: DPG
RENTED!

Get the landlord to deal with it.

1. He pays
2. If it goes wrong, it his responsibility.

Thank you - Yes you are right, it is the landlords responsibility. But some landlords can get quite nasty with complaints about disrepair and sometimes results in retaliatory eviction...

Also, it takes time to arrange any professional to attend the property, and if it wasn't for the speedy replies on this forum encouraging me to try the black tap with more force, then I would have had no heating at all for at least another 1-2 days, which would have caused me huge problems due to severe health conditions.

If the problem is something simple that I might be able to rectify myself easily, with little cost, then I would prefer to do that. Having to call out a professional to the property, whether paid for by myself or the landlord, is also really inconvenient, as I also then have to block time off from work.

Maybe tightening the nut might not work, and I might have to report to landlord, but I would prefer to try, as it might rectify the problem.... Could anyone please just confirm which direction I should try to tighten the nut? As am worried about unscrewing it and causing massive flooding.

Last edited:
righty tighty, lefty loosey

not all landlords are evil land barons... They might actually have a service plan in place that covers repairs

not all landlords are evil land barons... They might actually have a service plan in place that covers repairs

Absolutely. Landlords seem to be a popular target of hate these days, but I could tell you a couple of stories about some interesting tenants!

Sadly, in my personal experiences, 90% of landlords (and their managing agents) actually are.... Have been a landlord myself in the past and would never in a million years have ever treated my tenants the way I have been treated by some..

Righty tighty I will try...

Absolutely. Landlords seem to be a popular target of hate these days, but I could tell you a couple of stories about some interesting tenants!

I am sure, but I could guarantee that as my experiences of a private tenant, I could absolutely trump those stories. The "rouge" landlords far outweigh the good ones unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net