Discuss Help with an Air Conditioning install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just had three split Air Con units installed at my home, the ones with an indoor and outdoor unit.

I (perhaps naively) trusted the installers when they said they could tap into the existing socket ring to power them. I had assumed they meant installing a couple of fused spurs.

What I've ended up with is 1.5mm SY cable shoved through the wall into the back of a socket in two places. One goes to one outdoor unit, the other goes to two, both via rotary isolators. Obviously the SY cable hasn't been properly terminated indoors.

So I'm not hugely happy about the safety or compliance of this. Problems I can see:

1. SY cable shouldn't be used like this
2. Running two fixed appliances from one unfused spur
3. Attaching 1.5mm cable to a 2.5mm ring with no fuse protection

I could get a spark to sort it but I'm wondering if there's anything I could do myself to bring this into compliance.

My initial idea would be to remove the SY cable from where it's connected, and properly connect it instead to a 13-amp FCU which I could install next to the existing socket. Then I could power the FCU as a spur from the socket. This would have the advantage of giving an internal way to disconnect the AC if required since the outside rotary switches aren't very accessible. Alternatively, I could see if I could remove the SY cable all the way to the rotary isolator and replace it with something more appropriate. What do people think?

If it helps the air con units are relatively low powered. Two are 4A operating current and one is 5.6A, so the max load on a spur would be 9.6A on one and 4A on the other.

Any help gratefully received!

I think I'd be getting the installers back, or demanding a part refund to be honest.
At the moment I'm not confident enough about how this would be made right, or what rules they are breaking, to tackle them and demand action. If someone can suggest exactly how this should be made compliant? I don't have any faith in them to fix it themselves though, I'd have to know exactly what should he done.

Reply to Help with an Air Conditioning install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net