Discuss Hi, another newbie (be kind!!!) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Super Dragpack

Hello chaps (and I assume some ladies),

I'll introduce myself. I served for many years as a electrician and plumber in and around Southampton. My business grew and grew and eventually we took a side step solely into luxury exclusive bathrooms and interior renovations. I ceased being on the tools around 10+ years ago and instead employed trained monkeys to do the work for me. Well that's not the truth. I would have better off employing monkeys when I remember the guys I did employ. Anyway, time moved on and the business continued to grow, but it grew faster and bigger than I could cope with and I lost control of the business. Due to this, problems started appearing, but then more problems would appear before I even had the time to rectify the first issue. The rollercoster had started and there was little choice but to get off.

In 2007 my health finally failed for the last time due to the stress and workload and I walked away from the business and lost everything. I have been recovering for the past 5 years with a view to starting again, but this time to keep it simple and small.

To aid my new start, I attended college last year and completed my C&G 2382-100 Level 3. I intended to start instantly but my health wasn't ready again, so I've continued to make plans and await the right time.

Anyway, I'm nearly ready now and am starting to look for work. This is where I feel this site will be of value. I have numerous questions on how to start (re-start) in this field. Things have changed A LOT since I started as an electrician and it's rather confusing to someone who has been out of the industry for so long.

As mentioned, I am not only an electrician, but also a plumber. I have varied skills in any construction trades and for many years managed large sites and high value projects. The only thing I don't do is brick lay (never bothered). I plaster, tile, I do all carpentry and general construction, but I feel I wish to focus more on simple electrics than these other heavier trades.

I wish to do my job and leave someone else to pick up the stress from now on.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your future help. I'll be posting my first question within the next few hours I expect.

Mick

Hi & welcome. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I've started numerous successful business' in various sectors, so the 'getting the business started' bit is ok, but the 'getting the right certification' and 'not wasting money on incorrect registration fees' or similar is the worry for me as money is tighter than I'm used to when started a new venture.

I started my first business at 16 and have never not had a business running, so when I wanted to start another venture I just transferred funds and resources as needed. But now I am starting at the same point I did when I was 16 - i.e. with nothing. No contacts, no resources, limited funds . . . It's exciting for me to be taking this road again, but a worry as I now have a family to worry about too. I didn't have that worry at 16.

My questions will be based on what testers I now require (mine have long since gone/stolen/broken), what certification is required and what is recommended, the average price I could now charge, all this "competent persons' scheme etc etc etc.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Mick

Reply to Hi, another newbie (be kind!!!) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net