Discuss House bashing apprentice help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the replies, at least nots all lost and if I wanted I could move on only thing that was worrying me that I'd be limited to just house bashing for the rest of my life

..the fact that you have raised this concern, speaks volumes about your attitude.....

your gonna do fine, stick with it, it'll all pan out...

...your a good example for all apprentices to follow

Trust me, all apprentices say this. I did too!

When I was an apprentice, all I did was install 50v DC systems in telephone exchanges, my equivalent of twin and earth was double insulated cables and 10mm singles in trunking. All college teaches you is domestic, the regs is based mainly on domestic installations so while you are an apprentice with a job, stick with it and don't leave!

Just concentrate at college, you are obviously keen... Get your ticket and then the world is your oyster.

I agree with the comments that you should stick to it but on the other hand in four years time and you move on and you get asked to do something you've never done before it isn't going to look good. Explain the situation to your training officer in how you feel your not getting enough varied work.

if it's theory that you feel you're not picking up as quickly as others then speak tutors to give you extra help/work to help (they're there to help but YOU have to ask). take notes to work and ask sparks questions when in van etc. if it's practical, as you've suggested, your apprentice officer's job is 'your apprenticeship' so talk to them. they may be able to get you a placement. apprentices seem to knock 'house bashing' but as said above, you'll know how to graft! keep at it (college), it'll be over in no time

Thanks for the kind words all, I will stick at it is I'm super lucky to be in an apprenticeship and I count my lucky stars that I am. But I just wanted to kind of be reassured that it's not the be all and end all that I'll be stuck in this forever just can't wait to get my ticket learn along the way and enjoy the remainder if my apprenticeship

I agree with the comments that you should stick to it but on the other hand in four years time and you move on and you get asked to do something you've never done before it isn't going to look good. Explain the situation to your training officer in how you feel your not getting enough varied work.

While I see where you are coming from, the old phrase "every day is a school day" is there for a reason.

As long as you remember to not feel stupid when asking a question you'll be fine.

I joined a BMS firm a few years back not even knowing what BMS was.... Best 4 years I have ever had. Within 2 years I had BMS trained sparx asking me questions of positioning of sensors, valves, and why etc.

The boy looks super keen and this is what is missing in 70% of apprentices these days!

Keep your head in the work and out of your phones messaging apps and you'll do well in life.

House bashing?
any work in this industry, regardless of its reputation or title requires the best of attention from whoever is working on that job. This work your in may not offer the range of experience your looking for however it is no less important that you do the very best in every aspect of quality. Take pride in every job no matter how simple and make it the core of your working philosophy and wherever you go in the industry this will stand you in good stead throughout your career. Experience on the whole, is gained mainly after time is served. Secret is not rocket science, get through your time first then look for alternative industry experience, it will present itself. Keep your powder dry and good luck

Reply to House bashing apprentice help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net