Discuss How many on here have ever actually been prosecuted for pulling the DNO fuse? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Allrightee...... thread after thread after thread we get peoples 'angst' about breaking DNO seals and removing fuses (for good reason and safety in mind).

So, if it's such a massive no-no and the DNO's will cart us all off to court under armed guard, how many, exactly, of the 44,000 members of this goodly forum have felt the heat of the spotlight and the gaze of the furious judge???

Anyone???

NB: Removal and tampering of DNO equipment is both illegal and can be dangerous. I do NOT recommend the doing so of under any circumstances.

I haven't heard of anyone being taken to court for cutting a seal.

I believe if you get prosecuted the punishment is 60 hours community service working for a local plumbers as a labourer :).

I reckon we can run to 20+ pages of replies on this thread and not one 'legal punishment' reply.

Thats probably because under ESQCR, EQUIPMENT ON A CONSUMERS PREMISE must comply with BS7671

Equipment belonging to distributors and meter operators which is installed on consumers’ premises must be suitable for itspurpose and safe. Examples of such equipment include: cables, meters, distribution boards, isolators and switches.
Such equipment must also be electrically protected by fuses, cut-outs or circuit breakers. For safety and technical reasons the protective device should be situated as close as reasonably practicable to the supply terminals. Where flats are supplied by rising mains, duty holders should ensure that all equipment upstream of the supply terminals at each flat benefit from adequate electrical and mechanical protection.
In order to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of regulation 24(1) duty holders should adopt the standards of construction and installation necessary to comply with BS7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations.

So with no means of isolation, they themselves are in breach of there ESQCR and BS7671, and then there is also the reqiurment of the EAWR.

Id be surprised if any court would prosecute, other than the failings of the suppliers and Dno's, could be costly if the courts decide all installations require to be brought inline with BS7671.

Regards Chris

Equipment belonging to distributors and meter operators which is installed on consumers’ premises must be suitable for itspurpose and safe. Examples of such equipment include: cables, meters, distribution boards, isolators and switches.

The issue isn't one of engineering or safety compliance, it's one of ownership and tampering. It may be installed on your premises, but under law it's their property. The same as the high-pressure sewer mains that runs under my garden, it's on my land but owned by others and I'm not allowed to touch it.

The issue isn't one of engineering or safety compliance, it's one of ownership and tampering. It may be installed on your premises, but under law it's their property. The same as the high-pressure sewer mains that runs under my garden, it's on my land but owned by others and I'm not allowed to touch it.

Well id disagree, why is it that we cut the seals? For safety?

BS7671 CH53 requires isolation, if this is not provided then they have departed from the their requirements under Law.

So yes its their equipment, but if its not installed as per BS7671 then under ESQCR they are in breach. EAWR also come into play, working LIVE!

So unless they have an informed system which is practicable and suitable for all possible situations, i don't see how any court would prosecute and id be surprised it they tried to prosecute in the first place. Unless of course you were purposely damaging or interfering with their equipment in a detrimental way.

Always a great discussion point the pulling of fuses and it legality. In Scotland if you are a member of Select, I believe the SSE allows their members to pull the fuse, and even as a temporary seal available to fit.

This was muted to be brought in down in England and Wales, for members of Part P schemes, but I was told, by an actual DNO engineer that it was shelved, due to the distributors concerns over training practices now within our industry, and it was felt that some electricians in these schemes were not considered competent to pull fuses, take that as you will.

It is poignant now that the Regulation 537.1.3 in the amendment as been totally revamped and extended to actually name the distributor cut out as means of disconnection and isolation, but in a note dictates that only person authorized by the said distributor can actually pull the fuse.

So with the advent of smart meters and such, where a fuse pull will be detected, I wonder if on this forum in 10 yrs time we'll get a post

"This morning got a call from a customer whose CU I changed, they had a letter from such and such DNO asking why my Fuse was removed at 08.32 on the 16th of March and re-energized at 15.41 on the 16th March, and I had to tell them you changed my CU ......etc etc "

I'm not in the slightest disagreeing that you pull the fuse for safe isolation - I do so all the time and have no problem saying so - my 'issue' is others getting all tied up with the angst of seals-v-danger. We all know it's a stupid situation.

I got told by a meter fitter a while back that they now DON'T fit isolators as because it's the other side of the meter and therefore considered to be part of the consumers equipment, they need to be Part P registered to fit them, and the DNO's and meter companies aren't registered!!!

It's a ridiculous no-win situation.

Reply to How many on here have ever actually been prosecuted for pulling the DNO fuse? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back