Discuss How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
People with 10+ posts should not now see Google ads?

Please reply and let me know what you can see?

(This is Google ads, not the sponsors - who keep the forum free to use)

Fair enough matey :)
I've been getting these style popups when I go to another page from your post here for example
No idea if that's meant to be the case or not

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 204450.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 6
Site is transformed on my phone. I can actually see the posts now, without searching through all the spam for them.
Switching to my laptop, I got the adblocker message. Switched it off, and, so far at least, no ads have appeared.

And here we go.....
Received an email notification of a new post to this thread, opened it on the laptop, and here's a large ad between the new post and the reply box. Also a string of them down the right hand side, in the middle of the 'new posts' column.
Now I've been directed to a full page ad when I clicked on one of the new posts.
Why has the site (on a laptop) suddenly started complaining about ad blockers? It's definitely still needed.

I'm seeing google ads all over the page once I disabled adblock. If that's permanent then I'm afraid you'll chase me back to Oz.

Does it take a bit of time for it to take affect?

Laptop looks clean, but (I) phone still has drop down ad, a couple just above this reply box and the odd full page pop-over.

I hope I don’t have to reset cache or something inntge browser, as last time I did that I lost my Wordl streak.

No change here.
On the phone there are ads in posts, between posts and at the beginning.
When I click on new thread, or really anything, you then get a full page ad.

This mob have a good platform and plenty of code options for ads. Excellent customer support unlike goggle!
Can't really change such an established ad system on a website like ours. Adsteera would also just make money out of money that should go towards running the forum. A sort of man in the middle that you don't need.

No change here.
On the phone there are ads in posts, between posts and at the beginning.
When I click on new thread, or really anything, you then get a full page ad.
Thats called a vignette ad and I'm just testing that one for now for a percentage of the visitors in general (doesn't have to be logged in users like) .

Thats called a vignette ad and I'm just testing that one for now for a percentage of the visitors in general (doesn't have to be logged in users like) .
1698932172155.png

are these popup style ones meant to be here btw

Does it take a bit of time for it to take affect?

Laptop looks clean, but (I) phone still has drop down ad, a couple just above this reply box and the odd full page pop-over.

I hope I don’t have to reset cache or something inntge browser, as last time I did that I lost my Wordl streak.
No shouldn't have to reset anything mate. There's must be a rogue ad somewhere. Anybody 10+ posts should only see sponsors. I'll get on it matey.

Yeah for now. Is everybody getting those now?

That's not meant to happen.

Give us a couple of hours and I'll drop back on it.
yep I've had a few one for the past while just assumed it was normal haha
No worries thanks

I've not had any requests to disable adblock plus and still use the forum on a laptop without issue.

One problem I do have is regular updates to advertising cookies which must be accepted in order to continue using the forum. These regular updates require me to spend an extraordinary amount of time unchecking default settings I choose not to agree to.

My understanding of the carry over EU legislation in place in the UK is that such assumed consent was outlawed several years ago. I may be wrong on that point and it may be that certain 'fair use' allowances are made, but the sheer inconvenience and hassle of these updates brought me to the decision that I would no longer provide financial support for the forum. In my opinion the policy in place is counterproductive - if one provides financial support, and in return no longer have to view excessive advertising, then it makes sense that those advertisers would no longer need to be placing tracking cookies on my devices.

The adchoices boxes are coming and going?
Might be fine for a day or two, then suddenly reappear.

On Safari, Iphobe11, and I don’t close the tab, just close the browser.

From my PC it's like night and day. Much better.
Same from my phone.
Thanks. :)

The constant request to allow ads on my desktop make it unusable very annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net