Discuss How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly this. Extremely annoying, to the point of making me go off to look at another forum.
Have you tried a browser called Brave? It is Chromium based, so very similar to Google Chrome, but is excellent at blocking a lot of things such as ads.

I'd need to log out to see how it is with this forum, but I find it great for reducing ads and pop ups on most websites.

Have to say that Firefox settings provide excellent options where advertising and tracking are concerned. Maybe it's time I tried their mobile browser again, after not getting along with it upon release many years back.

Have to say that Firefox settings provide excellent options where advertising and tracking are concerned. Maybe it's time I tried their mobile browser again, after not getting along with it upon release many years back.
I find I get a lot of ads on YouTube with Firefox - but then again, I haven't tinkered with any settings as I don't use it very often.

I find I get a lot of ads on YouTube with Firefox - but then again, I haven't tinkered with any settings as I don't use it very often.

Thought I'd been using Adblock Plus, but now see it's AdBlocker Ultimate.

I've read that Youtube have lately cracked down on adblockers, but I get nothing at all during videos - ever. I also run Ghostery and NoScript to combat the worst effects of tracking, but notice default settings for both are quite liberal on Youtube.

Watching on Youtube mobile app is entirely different matter.

Have you stopped the constant badgering to allow adds on my Browser when I access this site?

Have you stopped the constant badgering to allow adds on my Browser when I access this site?
I suspect that if you are still being badgered, the answer is no. If no badgering is occurring, the answer is yes. That is assuming the badger can be controlled...

Have you tried using a different browser that may have more ability to block badgering?

I think with the changes dan is making, whether positive or negative, the site is being “reset” each time….
so when you open the page afresh, it’s having to go through the cookies and ads question each time.

FYI @Dan the little black search dot is back with me, along with a google search bar which is new. Adchoices are also back.

I think with the changes dan is making, whether positive or negative, the site is being “reset” each time….
so when you open the page afresh, it’s having to go through the cookies and ads question each time.

FYI @Dan the little black search dot is back with me, along with a google search bar which is new. Adchoices are also back.

Strangley enough I haven't faced the AdChoices confirmation for several weeks.

Kind of concerned about posting this as it'll be back now.

Come on, @Dan This isn’t funny anymore🤬

There’s a new adchoices pop up that fills the bottom half of mobile screen. No X on it to get rid of it.
So between the black search spot, the bottom half ad and other ads inserted inbetween messages on threads…. There are some moments I cannot see any forum content whatsoever.
See thumbnails for examples.

IMG_4889.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

Opened littlespark's post above on my laptop, read that he was posting an example, saw that almost the whole of the bottom half of my screen was occupied by an ad, thinking that was the example.
At that point I realised that this wasn't the example, but a pop up on my own screen.
Ad blocker gets rid of it, but two seconds later, the screen greys out, with the "allow ads" banner right in the centre.
Way beyond a joke, and the site is close to unusable, and certainly not enjoyable, in this state.
Fix it, please, Dan, and fix it quick, before the forum collapses.

I recommend becoming a patron if you use the forum regularly. Costs very little, and I am currently using the forum with no adverts or hassle whatsoever on my Android device.

I should have explained.
Top image was trying to scroll with the bottom half covered, and search dot in place.
Second image was a mid-scroll, stopped at one of the ads between messages… just to show how completely covered the page was.

Typing this out, I see there’s no bottom half pop-up…. So I guess Dan is working on it as we speak.
Still the dot, and still the pop-over full screen ad when moving between pages. That’s an easy one to X off though.

@DPG whether patron or not, you should still be able to use a website with ads in place and no detriment in actually using the site.
I fully understand it’s a revenue income, and expect a few ads whatever site I’m viewing. I know every now and again, some glitch allows a multitude of ads to appear, and it’s down to Dan to find the cause and either remove it, or work around it. And I know that’s not a 5 minute job when it happens.

I've no problem with a strip of ads down the right hand side of my laptop screen, occupying about a quarter of the width. It's the ones that appear between the posts in a thread and the full screen pop ups between pages that are the problem.
All was fine on a laptop, before the current round of tinkering.

Reactions: Dan
Hi people.

I was about to create a blog post with no ads on at all. In fact, yeah let's do that.

Bookmark this page. Share it out with others who might be asking about it on facebook or whatsapp or x or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net