Discuss How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ads are fine as long as they don't appear in the string of a thread.
Typing this on my phone, and it took several seconds to find the reply box amongst the spam.

Something been changed in the last four hours? On the laptop again, the ads aren't intruding in the strings, and no pop ups between pages, even with no ad blocker.

I recommend becoming a patron if you use the forum regularly. Costs very little, and I am currently using the forum with no adverts or hassle whatsoever on my Android device.

Still have to agree to advertising cookies or go through the arduous process of custominsing them each time there's some update to advertising settings. I stopped providing financial support to the forum for this very reason.

The inconsistency is very annoying, but I do understand the need to allow advertising on the site to provide income for its existence, but does seem to have become excessive, have to ask, how do non advert web sites exist? for instance "Whats app"

I'm part of the admin team on a classic car related on line forum. At one time we had so much traffic that we moved to our own dedicated server, which we financed, and still do, solely from the contributions of a few forum sponsors. No advertising at all of the random type.

I'm a patron, so generally get very little in the way of adverts.

However, when I am logged out, I still get very little in the way of adverts. As I mentioned before, I'm using the Brave browser on Android. Its default settings are very good at blocking ads and it also automatically rejects cookies for you.

If you're having trouble with excessive ads, or being asked to accept or reject cookies on a regular basis, it really is worth trying a different browser.

Ads aren't an issue and I have this particular browser set up to automatically reject all tracking cookies. As such I don't get asked to accept them and, at worst, see the request for a second before it disappears, but on this site (and to date this site alone) it refuses to work. The request wouldn't be an issue on most sites and could be handled in a few seconds, but here we have approaching 100 separate companies and most require disabling of individual 'legitimate interest' tracking.

In the past I was happy to support the forum and would certainly do so again in the future, but will not do so while the site attempts to also profit from details of actions online. I get that this is a commercial enterprise and not run as a hobby, but there seems to be no choice between advertising/tracking or direct financial support - the latter only provides the removal of more obtrusive attempts at advertising.

What is also unfortunate is that forum sponsor advertising (involving not insignificant cost), which is not obtrusive and which I'd happily view, is removed from view by ad-blockers along with more problematic advertising. It's up to Dan and Lou to run the forum as they see fit, but presently I'm of the opinion that certain sources of revenue could potentially cost more in the long term than the income they generate.

Last edited:
Just re-installed AdBlock and set it to pause on this site, No more adds in between posts, seems to work well on my MacBook Pro laptop.

I'm a patron, so generally get very little in the way of adverts.

However, when I am logged out, I still get very little in the way of adverts. As I mentioned before, I'm using the Brave browser on Android. Its default settings are very good at blocking ads and it also automatically rejects cookies for you.

If you're having trouble with excessive ads, or being asked to accept or reject cookies on a regular basis, it really is worth trying a different browser.
Where is your badge

Reactions: Dan
IMO if the adds are paying and keeping the EF free to use then we have to put up with it.
Awww that's nice of you that mate. Most think I'm the devil when adding them lol

Basically with ads, you want to show them to the type of people that still click on them. Most don't, in fact 99.9% don't. But the .1% that do, keep it all free. (Or low cost if you subscribe! lol).

Been almost back to normal on the laptop for the last few days, but tonight I'm having to write this on my phone because the laptop's unusable. The bottom half of the usable screen area is completely occupied by a large Google ad. I can get rid of the ad's content easily enough but that just leaves a large white box instead.
This needs sorting URGENTLY!

You'll be pleased to know the ads are under control. At least as best they can be right now. Google are still working on Adsense, and other products of theirs, so auto ads can go nuts still. Google are fixing it. However, right now as I speak, all subscribed members see no ads, and no sponsor ads.

We've increased the price a little.

Subscribed members also get to see who read their threads. And there are a couple of other little extras, but we'll be adding more soon also.

I'll close this thread. I've finally replied to all my PMs. So PM me if you have a question about subscribing rather than starting a thread, unless in Contact Staff area. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How's that? The Google Ads should have gone now for most? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net