Discuss I need help with an electric shower wire which is too short in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was thinking what about cutting out the black plastic just below where the wires need to be inserted?
I was just about to suggest that. It doesn’t affect the ip rating of the shower, the physical strength or a fixing hole.

It might though, cause an issue with any warranty claim in the future as it may be seen as unauthorised modification.

I was just about to suggest that. It doesn’t affect the ip rating of the shower, the physical strength or a fixing hole.

It might though, cause an issue with any warranty claim in the future as it may be seen as unauthorised modification.
Oh i dont care about warranty and i dont think it is still even under warranty as ive had the shower in storage for 10 years ?

I agree with @littlespark. The shower will be about 45mm lower than the photo by the time the elbow is rotated and in place. If you trim a little plastic away on the left hand side I reckon you'll be ok.
If you are very close, you could consider putting 10mm bootlace long barrel ferules on the end which will give you an extra cm.

I agree with @littlespark. The shower will be about 45mm lower than the photo by the time the elbow is rotated and in place. If you trim a little plastic away on the left hand side I reckon you'll be ok.
If you are very close, you could consider putting 10mm bootlace long barrel ferules on the end which will give you an extra cm.
Lads thanks so much for all your help. I think cutting the plastic away will work i will update you on progress as i am trying to find my angle grinder to cut a chanel for the wire wish me luck

IMG_20210514_191232.jpg

Only thing is i think the earth wire is a tiny bit too short what should i do?
I'd get shower on wall, water connected, two wires connected and then see where you are.
Might be one bootlace crimp on end, or lug crimp, might be need to crimp on a bit more wire.

The earth stud is almost certainly just an anchoring point for the two wires connected to it, so I'd remove it from the shower, crimp a ring terminal onto the incoming 4mm earth wire, then bolt all three earth wires together with the stud, and leave them in free space.
May be a good idea to swap over the blue and brown at the top of the connection block, rather than try to cross over the incoming wires. Remove any printed 'L' and 'N' by the block.

Maybe too late, but if you do need to use one of the "yellow" crimps for the earth then please, PLEASE, get a proper ratchet tool. They vary a lot in price, but even the cheap ones such as this are infinitely better than the horrible pliers-like ones that come with a kit of terminals. Most importantly, by time you have crimped far enough to release the ratchet then you can be reasonably[*] sure the crimp is tight:
Here are examples of the matching range of crimps, you would need to check the stud size to get the appropriate hole:
I suspect the stud is M5 but you never know...

* = For a given definition of "reasonable". Of course for some industries and some applications you have to be very specific about the quality of tool and having the correct crimps for a given type of cable, temperature range, etc. But for most jobs the above are fine.

Reply to I need help with an electric shower wire which is too short in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net