Discuss Landis+Gry E100 5253A suspect PV readings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All, any chance of some advice please...i have a 2kw solar pv system fitted and was being monitored with the old style rotating disk meter....my energy FIT suppler (SSE) changed the old meter to the above (in the title)...now over the last year i have found my bills or direct debt (for import) energy has put me £500 in arrears...now before the meter change my direct debt for electricity was covering the cost ok ...i have read through the forums and found some information but not all ...so hopefully someone can fill in the gaps

Ok...
the meter has flashed rEd since it was installed over a year ago (by SSE)...
I have NO alternating display indicating the direction of electrical flow (import or export )

so could the meter be faulty .....configured wrong .....or unstable for solar panels .....

could the export readings be accumulating as import readings

im trying to get my facts as correct as possible before contacting SSE

i have a separate meter inside the house that captures my export data from the inverter

hope this makes sense Neil

Hi, Thanks for the reply ....that is something im going to look at tomorrow ....i will print off my bills and do a comparison...but my Direct debit has gone up from £66 a month to £121...and nothing much has changed in my household other than the meter change ...and after inquiring with SSE they said it was to cover the arias for the last year ...i think the price per KWhr has gone up by 2p tho

Next sunny day,you could try turning everything off at the CU, except the breaker into which the solar is connected into, and see if your usage meter continues to rise at the same rate as your generation meter.
This will tell you whether your new meter is wired in and/or working correctly.
It could also be that your old meter was turning backwards before it was changed so not giving a true reading. Do you have bills before the solar system was fitted?

Gary K is spot on regarding the old analogue meter. They run backwards when exporting, literally winding the meter back! Good times lol. When I was fitting PV we had a few of those. The suppliers weren't that quick changing them and the customers loved it. There is no fault there, you just had it good for a while and now they have changed it you have to pay again like the rest of us :).

They meter that has been replaced is your incoming electricity meter. It will flash when you are using energy and will light continuously if you were not drawing anything or if you are exporting energy (generating more than you are using). The digital meter cannot run backward.

thanks all for taking the time to respond, i dont recall the analog meter running backwards.....but i will also do the test by dropping all circuit beakers except the solar one

i have only one bill that is pre meter change

i have read that some how the export reading can show as import on some meters ....is this not the case

Can you post a photo of your setup? Do you have one of the old setup?

Siemens meters have a reputation for double-clocking when PV is exporting. This doesn't apply in your case. I think Gary K has summed your situation up perfectly:

"It could also be that your old meter was turning backwards before it was changed so not giving a true reading."

Reply to Landis+Gry E100 5253A suspect PV readings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock