Discuss LED car lighting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mico92

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I have installed LED light strips in my car, but the problem is they are powered through cigarette lighter and I want to connect them with USB. The package came with a connector that is I think DC 5,5mm (attached picture) to cigarette lighter. I want to make it DC 5,5mm to USB.

So I have cut off the cigarrete lighter plug and replaced it with USB plug. I have wired the red wire with red and black with black and left the other two wires off (white and green that come from USB). But the problem is the lights dont work when I plug it in the car USB port.

What am I doing wrong. How can I make this work. I would appreciate any help...

P.S. Sorry if this is a stupid question but honestly I don't have much experience with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_135027.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5
Not sure if I've fully understood what you are doing. But the cigarette lighter plug may well have a built in converter to drop the 12V down to 5V.

Reply to LED car lighting in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Once again I am using the Engineering chat as I think my question is more theoretical rather than 'diy advice'. If I am misusing the forum...
Replies
Views
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
Good morning guys, I bought this neon sign for my cinema room to put above my arcade machines. I have the cinema controlled by Google voice...
Replies
Views
Hello. Recently I've purchased some led lights for my trailer. Secondhand no wiring guide. Led wire colours are white,black,red,yellow and green...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a problem with my 2010 Kia Sorento kx2. I recently bought a second hand trailer. I was told all the lights were working so I plugged...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock