Discuss Motor-Start Capacitor Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rod Ango

DIY
Reaction score
I picked up a 7.5W 110V TEFC single-phase induction motor for super cheap. I may use it on a home made lathe or stationary-sander for my woodshop.

It's not running. I read that the run windings would probably have less impedance than the start windings. I was only able to get and measure conductivity, ~4.5 ohms, between one pair made from the 3 wires extant (checked them at the motor terminals.) I opened the run-capacitor cover and shorted it across its pair of terminals - no spark. Should it have sparked if it was a good cap?

The capacitor also appeared to have a bit of a leak at the top, (picture).
8760FE79-BABD-4A79-81AA-7CA86ED7F5DD.jpeg
Since a new one that offers the same spec's was US$6.50 shipped, I ordered the replacement. Does it look like this cap was probably bad based on that appearance? Since it's alternating current, polarity won't matter on the re-installation, right?

The cap's side view and spec's. The new one has same mfd (161-193) value range and 120v specified, but close enough, right?
48261C48-222C-40D9-A4E0-2283D89E2455.jpeg

Last, in wiring it up, I'll have 120V with hot + neutral + ground. Which wire goes where? Should the be another part such as a 'potential relay' to operate this motor?
C4A9BA1D-0B30-4698-A035-13FFCF647783.jpeg

Old cap looks suspect, yes. It seems to have burst at the terminal. You will only be guaranteed to get a spark off a motor cap if you disconnect it from the winding and charge it with DC. In-circuit the winding will immediately discharge it. Voltage rating is a maximum limit, so you are fine to use a higher voltage cap than original.

Re. Relay, does the motor have a centrifugal switch?

Hey, wait, this is a 2-speed motor right? It has 4-pole and 6-pole windings. I think the teminals are stamped H (blue) L (orange) and C for common (white). So you would feed either H or L with the hot. I think. Check inside the terminal box cover for a diagram.

Last edited:
Old cap looks suspect, yes. It seems to have burst at the terminal. You will only be guaranteed to get a spark off a motor cap if you disconnect it from the winding and charge it with DC. In-circuit the winding will immediately discharge it. Voltage rating is a maximum limit, so you are fine to use a higher voltage cap than original.

Re. Relay, does the motor have a centrifugal switch?

Hey, wait, this is a 2-speed motor right? It has 4-pole and 6-pole windings. I think the teminals are stamped H (blue) L (orange) and C for common (white). So you would feed either H or L with the hot. I think. Check inside the terminal box cover for a diagram.
High|Low|Common, and the other answers, thank you so much! I will look specifically to confirm this, and I know what a centrifugal clutch is, in concept how it works, but to find it do I pull off the 'end bell' and just look for a likely mechanical suspect?

High|Low|Common, and the other answers, thank you so much! I will look specifically to confirm this, and I know what a centrifugal clutch is, in concept how it works, but to find it do I pull off the 'end bell' and just look for a likely mechanical suspect?

I am going to resist commenting on this, even though my juvenile mind really wants to.

If the three visible wires are the only outgoing connections, and nothing is missing from inside the capacitor box, the motor does not need a start relay. An externally-connected start relay would require the start and run winding leads to exit the motor separately. The start winding might be internally connected directly to the switch.

I would measure resistance from C to H (or L) first with the capacitor leads disconnected (or indeed connected to the new good capacitor and then short-circuit across the capacitor. If this causes the resistance to drop, but not to zero, that suggests your two windings are present and correct and you are good to go.

Capacitor is scheduled to arrive Monday, and I will test it and perform the tests you recommended. I hadn't spotted that it is a 2-speed motor. Makes sense and adds value, even for repurposing a 1/3 - 1/2 HP motor.

Digging through boxes, I found a DC motor a friend gave me years ago. Its label shows it's meant to run at 7100RPM, @12VDC/18AMPS. It looks like it was maybe part of a treadmill. Now, if it works, I'll have to consider a good new use for it. I might be able to fit it with a pulley to reduce speed and power a wood-shaper spindle, or maybe as a basis for a sander.

This motor probably has a feedback circuit to help it maintain speed precisely, so I guess the black wire here is more likely part of a sensor rather than for a carbon brush (on this permanent magnet motor?)

Attachments

• 348D1260-82C3-4516-9CA2-FB27D11EA9EA.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 11
  • AEE03017-8A1E-48D4-8FB8-2C2F6127E4FF.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 11
Capacitor is scheduled to arrive Monday, and I will test it and perform the tests you recommended. I hadn't spotted that it is a 2-speed motor. Makes sense and adds value, even for repurposing a 1/3 - 1/2 HP motor.

Digging through boxes, I found a DC motor a friend gave me years ago. Its label shows it's meant to run at 7100RPM, @12VDC/18AMPS. It looks like it was maybe part of a treadmill. Now, if it works, I'll have to consider a good new use for it. I might be able to fit it with a pulley to reduce speed and power a wood-shaper spindle, or maybe as a basis for a sander.

This motor probably has a feedback circuit to help it maintain speed precisely, so I guess the black wire here is more likely part of a sensor rather than for a carbon brush (on this permanent magnet motor?)
120VDC

The capacitor got the motor working on the high speed as expected. Low speed not working. No continuity at all on the orange wire. Any suggestions on things to check?

Reply to Motor-Start Capacitor Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net