Discuss NAPIT Desktop- other software? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just about had it with NAPIT desktop after using it for 3 years. The main reason I've just lost it with this software is because I have had to sit all morning & completely re-do EICRs which where previously UNSATISFACTORY but remedial works have been done and a few minor changes to the test results were needed to issue 'SATSIFACTORY'. - HOWEVER! once you have saved and printed any document with NAPIT desktop you are unable to edit it or re-open it for editing, and have to start from the beginning (right from the beginning, name, address etc. etc.).

If the saved certs could be re-opened, a few test results etc altered and then saved again as 'Satisfactory', e.g. with a different serial number, this would save hours of my time.

Same goes for installation certs where I print out, ready to stick in an envelope, realise the house number is wrong or I've copied the circuits when filling in the results table (so you don't have to re-enter cable type, RCD test results etc) and have 6A instead of 32A for the cooker and the full lot needs re-doing from the beginning (it's easy to make mistakes when you're doing your paperwork after 12 hours at work).

Does anyone have any recommendations for other software. I also carry out fire alarm / emergency lighting works so it would be handy if it had templates for these. I downloaded a free trial of Tysoft? but never got around to sussing it out. Should I give that another go?

The ability to re-open forms that have already been saved and printed off, to edit them and print them off again, would save a LOT of time and frustration.

I don't mind paying (as long as it isnt hundreds and hundreds)! My 'subscription' to NAPIT desktop has ran out anyway.

Cheers :)

Another irritating issue I have with NAPIT desktop (also on EICR forms) the box to type in the circuit description has turned into a pull down list of ALL the names of the circuits I have ever typed in to it, & you either have to scroll down carefully looking for 'Upstairs Lighting', 'Compressor D', 'Bain Maries' etc. and click on that, OR scroll down and find 'Other', click on that, and then it allows you to type something in. Which it then saves to its list and gives you yet another one to scroll through next time you need to type the name of a circuit.

Thankfully the last update seems to have fixed the issue where no matter what you did or selected, when printing / creating the .pdf file for an emergency lighting inspection, the date box remained blank. I believe I lost the work on 2 HMO properties because the council rejected the certs the letting agent passed on to them, because there was no date in the date box (fair enough, but I did write in the comments what the date was and that I was unable to enter it in the date box)- made me look very professional!

Same with the NIC test software, once the complete button is hit that's it. Although I think you can e-mail to appeal and edit.

Some software developer out there must have realised the benefits of being able to make a few minor changes and re-print! When I was on LA rewires and full estates of houses were re-wired to the same spec, (the certs were done by hand then)- if done on software it would have made sense to be able to make a few changes e.g. house number & test results and reprint. I'm sure that facility would save a lot of people a lot of time.

It took them over an hour of remote assistance to get it working on my windows 7 desktop!
Maybe I've been unlucky.

Is there a better alternative?!

Brilliant, I will look into this too,
I've got a 24 hour grace period on my 14 day trial of Tysoft Easycert that I hadn't got round to looking at. I've discovered that it has exactly what I need- if you save an EIC you can then choose to save it as an EICR, and vice-versa.

Thanks.

I was thinking of getting Napit desktop but not sure if it works on windows 8? Anyone know? It only mentions XP and 7 Must admit op's misgivings have put doubts in my mind!

Just looking into the different packages, Tysoft EasyCert supports windows 8.
"Update 30 October 2012 (1.09.2032)
- New support for Windows 8."

Reply to NAPIT Desktop- other software? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock