Discuss New lights! - Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

She

Hello people this is my first EVER post on here!! (still training :icon6:) Q. If a flat has no visual ceiling lights (no access to the above) and they want 2 ceiling lights installed is it possible?! They have other lights in the flat but say they are run up the wall in trunking. They have a light switch in the room but its redundant (2 lots of old twin and earth cables into the single pole switch). Hmmm how could I solve this and install some lights without pulling the ceiling down :veryangry2:!!! K

I'm guessing that the flat had lights on ceiling originally? I would check to see if cables are in conduit, check at board and behind existing switches, it may be that someone has had wall lights put in and ceilings skimmed, the conduits I would imagine are still there somewhere,try strong magnet along the ceiling.

Many ways you can do this.
Trunking everywhere, effective, quick but fugly.
Surface clipped, don't even go there.
Chase cables in the top 150 mm of the wall (It's a safe zone) depending on which way the joists run you should be able to fish across to where the light is going to be sited, if you hit a noggin then cut a hole in the ceiling (neatly) drill through the noggin and carry on fishing.

Thanks guys Don't think that there has ever been and ceiling lights probably only ever wall lights in the front room. hmmm wireless lights I wish! :icon6:

or, surface wiring on ceiling. after 1st fix, batten ceiling out and fit a false ceiling, say, 2" -3" below the existing.

Get them to wear these.
d2mv_goggles.jpg

Problem solved.

Reply to New lights! - Help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
I live in a warehouse condo, converted about 20 years ago. The building dates to about 1870 but with the conversion, all of the electrical was...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, We have bought 2 new low-hanging light fittings from Ikea to go side by side above dining room table to replace the single pendant...
Replies
Views
I'm starting a new project on Monday, new dental practice conversion from a shop. Nothing new here, customer doesn't know what electrical heating...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock