Discuss No cooker switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lloyd1982

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All

I had some new wiring put in professionally and I asked to wire ready for a cooker. He has left me a cable from the floor where I said it was going but no switch. When I went to buy a cooker with install included it said on the website they would only install it if there was a cooker switch. The consumer unit is within 2 meters of the oven so I think it cold be deemed as reasonable to use that to switch the power off in an emergency and maybe that’s why a switch wasn’t installed? Safety is the priority so don’t mind putting a switch in if needed. Thanks

preferable to fit one, as you then have it reachable from the cooker. also you could fit one with an integral socket to give an extra outlet. whereabouts are you? a member may be close enough to have a look.

When you said wire for a cooker in the future, it has been taken literally.

electrician has put a wire in that is ready to use when someone does the work.
I have in the past put many spare cables in for future use that are coiled up behind cupboards or in lofts.

in this instance it would have been better if the location of the oven was known at the time, to have asked for a cooker supply to be installed.

I know it seems pedantic but there can be a big difference between “wire for future use” and “put the cooker supply there”

it is poor communication between the electrician and yourself that has led to you not getting what you were expecting.

I think a call to the original electrician along the lines of “can you come and finish the Cooker supply” would be your best place to start.

p.s. Always remember you should be getting certificates for the electrical works to keep for your own records.

In most cases, the only way to completely isolate an oven circuit at a consumer unit is to turn off the main switch (or RCD) - the individual breaker or often RBCOs are not double pole so will not isolate the neutral.

That's a good reason to have a proper isolation switch somewhere suitable. If it's more practical to put it at the consumer unit end that may be acceptable if it's 'readily accessible'.

In most cases, the only way to completely isolate an oven circuit at a consumer unit is to turn off the main switch (or RCD) - the individual breaker or often RBCOs are not double pole so will not isolate the neutral.

That's a good reason to have a proper isolation switch somewhere suitable. If it's more practical to put it at the consumer unit end that may be acceptable if it's 'readily accessible'.

Thank you :) I think I will get someone in to get wire up the cooker and advise about the switch. The consumer unit is really close to where the oven is going to be so I think it would be reasonable for me to assume in an emergency I can turn the cooker off from there but I suppose if anyone else needs to switch it off quickly then a big red switch is more obvious so instincts tell me it would be sensible to go with that.

Attachments

• FE000BC8-F298-4CA0-8E65-7625B8C93302.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 24
Hi All

I had some new wiring put in professionally and I asked to wire ready for a cooker. He has left me a cable from the floor where I said it was going but no switch. When I went to buy a cooker with install included it said on the website they would only install it if there was a cooker switch. The consumer unit is within 2 meters of the oven so I think it cold be deemed as reasonable to use that to switch the power off in an emergency and maybe that’s why a switch wasn’t installed? Safety is the priority so don’t mind putting a switch in if needed. Thanks
I would fit one personally, double pole isolation. I have recorded a few on EICR reports.

Thank you :) I think I will get someone in to get wire up the cooker and advise about the switch. The consumer unit is really close to where the oven is going to be so I think it would be reasonable for me to assume in an emergency I can turn the cooker off from there but I suppose if anyone else needs to switch it off quickly then a big red switch is more obvious so instincts tell me it would be sensible to go with that.
love that retro kettle.

Reply to No cooker switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net