Search the forum,

Discuss Old Houses and location of services. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Biff, Brman and Bartkusal. Really appreciate the help and I totally agree. Going to put a cover over the CU, its a tad awkward but doable it will probably splash proof and water tight to a degree but not waterproof. The lads did rib me most of the day pointing at the pipes above the CU and saying 'that's bugging you' and when I'd be cracking on with something else and forgotten about the issue, they'd be ' is it bugging you now'.

But we had our Friday beer and like the lads said its all above board but we got 4 other jobs lined up, this one is for a mate, and as I told them I can just imagine some plumber going there in a few years who may be a tad green and change something in such a tight space, have some water leak or some that's just left in a pipe and he ends up ding dong. So they said look sod it, Sunday we'll have a nose at the tank going in the loft, giving lots more room in the cupboard as it will only have the gas boiler and Y plan electrics and the electric meter is going in an IP65 enclosure, it needs boxing in anyway so may as well do that instead. The 28mm gas is directly above the CU but 200mm away from the CU and a small vent placed next to the CU. With that done and the cover on top of the CU, I feel like I can shut the door on the job knowing we could not do any more and we've done what is most practicable given the scenario we are in, even if it does cost me a few quid more, if it was my house I'd do it for myself. That said you are bang on Biff, very family with risk assessments, and you are right the risk is low and the cost of alteration is high the end result is that leave it as is. If the tank can be moved then bonus, but if it can't probably due to venting issues as its an open vented system then again all has been done.

Again thanks for the help, just wanted to pick some brains just in case someone had a magic bullet, you know what its like you chat to people and someone will often come up with a good idea or solution afterwards and you wish you done it at the time but take it with you for the next drama. It wasn't the only reason I joined as the sparky got me going on the 17th in a few weeks time as we all muck in with each others jobs and I've nosed around the forum and on the whole its a font of knowledge. I'm just happy to be home working after years of being away and lets face it work is tight at the moment and just want to maintain our reputation with people we know, local council, and other tradesmen - word of mouth and who you know have always done me well and just don't want to lose that.

Anyhoots, its Friday - happy days - bath, shave and back out for a few more beers, day off tomorrow and back at it Sunday :) Hope you guys have a good evening ;-)

How far do you go, my roof might leak ?

I agree with this.

I once had to remove a DB and place in an IP rated enclosure because of a cold water tank above (not directly, but close enough).

I personally thought it was a ridiculous idea as any water that leaked would be from a disaster, just like a roof blowing off. Perhaps we should only fit IP rated accessories everywhere where they may get wet?

Perhaps have surveys done to check likeliness of flooding before second fixing ground floor?

I'm sure the water tank is not designed to leak, and should be fine in room above. If a plumber causes a leak, any damage will be on his insurance.

I also agree that some posters have not approached the subject very well, and as usual defensive of our trade.

Why can't trades get along, and share information / knowledge nicely?

I hope some of you do not have the same attitude on multi trade sites, as I can guarantee that some of the others may make your work more difficult. Plumbers and plasterers will constantly make your work difficult if you can not work together.

Reply to Old Houses and location of services. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back