Discuss Please advise me on safety of loose plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stephi

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not an electrician or anything of the sort but I'm hoping to just get some quick advice. In moving my bed I accidentally somehow pulled the faceplate of a plug socket loose so now it's at an angle.
Please advise me on safety of loose plug {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Please advise me on safety of loose plug {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
I won't be able to get in touch with my landlord until the morning so I'm hoping someone can advise me as to wether it's safe or if I should turn everything off at the fuse box for the night.
Apologies if I'm in the wrong place and thanks.

Just try not to touch it until your landlord fixes it should be a simple task of just screwing it back, unless of course you have broken the fixing lug off in the back box , either way a simple repair, don't let your landlord fob you off with a hike up price. No nee to switch your fuse box off. Just leave it alone the Electrician should be able to fix that in 30mins max

The socket will need to be replaced as you have broken the part that the screw holds in the socket front and it is potentially dangerous until that is done. When I say dangerous, I mean if anything touched the live parts in the now exposed back of the socket, well I am sure you understand what might happen. Just (as stated above) give it a wide berth.

Thanks everyone, my landlord's handyman is coming over later to check it out and fix it, probably an overreaction on my part but I was worried about it starting a fire or something. Thanks again for the help!

Looks like it has been unscrewed and left loose to me. No wonder it moved when you caught it.

As above, let landlord know and don't touch it. Have you got kids or pets in the house?

They do.
My mate rents a house out and he has a handyman to sort his electrics etc. out ... me.
Payment in ale :)

I have similar friends...one,got me to put new bearings on the beater drum,of his 40 year old Claas combine harvester...

...i got paid in pork :rolleyes: 3/4 of a butchered pig,in fact...

If we're trying to outdo each other, my mate's got a space rocket and he wanted me to change the bit that makes it go into space. He paid me in NASA grade rocket fuel which I use to start my barbeque. Which is made of titanium left over from when they made the space shuttle.

Reply to Please advise me on safety of loose plug in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock