Discuss Possible fault with motorized valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I've been phoned by a customer who says his central heating pump is running almost constantly, whether his heating is on or not. (oil fired Worcester system boiler)
Its not my usual area of expertise, but im thinking its possibly the motorised valve sticking and not releasing the switch that controls the pump.
New valve, or can they be repaired?
Could it be anything else?

I'm going to the job on Friday, so want to go armed with a little knowledge.

new valve head just change it ,the possibility that the system has never been drained to get rid of the old sludge .if not put in new 2 port or three valve . if you can not hear the whining of the motor then its goosed.keep to the same make .

Last edited:
If its a sticky microswitch you may get away with just chaging the actuator head, saves getting wet.

First thought in my head was a frost stat issue but it could be many things.

It all depends on what system and how it is wired and Plumbed.

Need more info really otherwise it's guess work. When you say system boiler, is that a real system boiler or a regular boiler? Sorry to ask, no offence meant, just being clear.

It would be unusual for a stuck MV (motorised valve) to bring in just the pump.

I haven’t visited the property yet, and the fault seems to be that the pump doesn’t switch off at all. Customer reported that it was on all night.
I’ll be looking at all the equipment as a matter of course, but something springs to mind that I’ve had the same problem once before somewhere else

Had it with S plan gas boiler external pump, was micro switch stuck on the motorised valve, swapped whole valve.

Boiler was also being switched on, but the outlet temperature control was stopping it from running. The pumps failed soon after, clearly being run with closed outlet did them no good.

Sorted. New valve actuator required. Came today, so fitted and working.
Old actuator wasn’t closing the switch when de energised. Checked with continuity tester.
Customer claimed it had already been changed last year or two.
Warranty sticker on the old one said 2014... so a few more years older than he thought.

I wish customers didn’t say things like that, because it makes you double guess your diagnosis of the problem

Sorted. New valve actuator required. Came today, so fitted and working.
Old actuator wasn’t closing the switch when de energised. Checked with continuity tester.
Customer claimed it had already been changed last year or two.
Warranty sticker on the old one said 2014... so a few more years older than he thought.

I wish customers didn’t say things like that, because it makes you double guess your diagnosis of the problem
That’s strange that it wasn’t also firing the boiler up if it had a stuck micro switch.

Reply to Possible fault with motorized valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock