Discuss Pyro Cable Tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

im thinking a possible load still connected and out of sight maybe, have you got a clear view of the entire pyro run or does it disappear into a wall, roof void, floor etc?

im thinking a possible load still connected and out of sight maybe, have you got a clear view of the entire pyro run or does it disappear into a wall, roof void, floor etc?

a connected load would almost certainly show a poor L-N reading rather than a N-E short.

church walls are mostly solid rather than cavity and as such are virtually permanently damp , so i'd go with water ingress at a possibly hidden j.b's / counduit boxes somewhere.

i would have thought dampness at first read too but if the ends were made of correctly and have been there for years i would suspect either there has been someone that knows nothing about pyro turning the pot after its been made off or some other damage else where but find it very strange that 4 cables go all at one time.

hi guys. like i said i can trace the pyro from the first socket to a metal conduit box on the other side of the wall of the consumer unit, where it then joins singles in a connector and then to the consumer unit.

so my readings cant be because of a connected load as i had separated all the cables.

like i said as soon as i plugged my make shift extension lead into the suspect pyro's they trip instantly. only a couple held.

when i disconnect the piro from the connector block with singles going to the consumer unit the rcd holds. as soon as i touch the piro line to the single line. rcd trips.

i'm sure its damp too but really wouldn't know how to dry it. and i'm sure it could happen again anyways

when i disconnect the piro from the connector block with singles going to the consumer unit the rcd holds. as soon as i touch the piro line to the single line. rcd trips.

i'm sure its damp too but really wouldn't know how to dry it. and i'm sure it could happen again anyways
i`v told you how to dry it already.....
drive the damp out with a heat gun...

You make a proper repair to the electrics for starters, then if there's a water problem, you or someone else locates the source and get that dealt with. It's really not that difficult!

Why are you not using your made for purpose test equipment to trace any potential faults on this circuit??

Well i have to say i'm very dubious that 4 separate legs of a MICC cable run suddenly go down together, all with suspected damp ingress!! As for replacing those legs with FP200, words escape me... lol!!

Its very rare, I've never known it, for Pyro to go down all at once like the OP has suggested, unless a disgruntled member of the congregation has 'spiked' it along its route.

Have you checked the physical condition of the actual cable, rather than the pots ?
If moisture has got in it will most likely be at the point of termination .
Have you checked the quality of the sfcu/skts. M/C outlets often become corroded and can fail because of the moisture.

Having said that, unsheathed pyro is not difficult to heat and repot, although only having made one off at college, you'll have fun on your first one......

Reply to Pyro Cable Tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net