Discuss Rcd disconnection time on TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On a TT system the rcd must operate withing 0.2 seconds for many circuits. Why when we test rcd's does it not say 300ms for TN systems or 200 ms for TT systems?

20230514_110411.jpg

Why when we test rcd's does it not say 300ms for TN systems or 200 ms for TT systems?
Well, it does!
As you say, the trip time depends what the purpose of the RCD is.
For fault protection, see 643.7.1 which has a bit in the middle saying that chapter 41 stuff must be met.
For additional protection see 643.8

How many times you have to rethink because of unreadable regulations over think the situation..I do it regularly… do belief the 0.2 secs is the maximum 200ms….most RCD“S trip before that‘

The TT 200ms final circuit is an odd one because that is for fault conditions. Since the Ra is chosen to keep voltage below 50V at 'In' then under typical fault conditions you will see almost 5*In through the RCD, leading to much faster disconnection.

That is why the usual "selective" RCD as an incomer is able to meet final circuit disconnection of 200ms (even though they typically measure 300-400ms at In), as well as achieving selectivity with 30mA "instant" ones used for additional protection.

I agreed the wording is pretty opaque :(

Reply to Rcd disconnection time on TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Im suppling distribution circuits and want to use the largest possible RCD available to avoid nuisiance tripping (its for outdoor street furniture...
Replies
Views
Keeping this brief.....................New dwelling.....TT system with 100mA S type rcd protected supply to local board with 30mA RCD. Freelance...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been a while since I have been on here. I have been on an apprenticeship the last 3 years training in the BMS world. Taking that into...
Replies
Views
The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
Hello Need to replace a distribution board in the next few weeks to allow for more circuits to be installed in January. Existing is a TT system...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock