Discuss RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A rant! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A r

Yeah thats about it.

I wouldn't check appliances on an EICR, but after changing a CU and adding RCD protection I do check that the important appliances all work without tripping RCD's, Fridges and freezers, oven, immersion, boiler, kettle (naturally the most important ;) )
Maybe I should rethink my standards as I've always only checked the kettle :)
NB I'm not saying I use the kettle as an installation tester :)

Re: RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A r

I think what Dave means is that if you'd done a functional test on the oven you might have found it before all this but I have to say, if I'm doing a domestic EICR I don't go round checking the appliances so I'd have missed this one too.
Yer but who turns ovens on for 20 minutes to check lol I see what you are saying.

Of course, if it looked like a dodgy secondhand oven that's been stood dormant in a damp shed for years before the landlord bought it, I could suggest turning every element up to max, whipping out the earth conductor and standing well clear! Lol
after 5-10 mins the fault may clear... And at the worse there would be a bloody great hole in the faulty element or the remnants of a faulty stat controller splattered around the kitchen ;-)
..... But obviously that is well outside the scope of bs7671 ...
Haha that made me laugh.

Yeah thats about it.

I wouldn't check appliances on an EICR, but after changing a CU and adding RCD protection I do check that the important appliances all work without tripping RCD's, Fridges and freezers, oven, immersion, boiler, kettle (naturally the most important ;) )
There was nothing there only the oven and it originally took 20 minutes to trip, would you have seriously stood there waiting for 20 minutes!

Well I was under the impression you test to the age of the installation, ie both works were carried out and should of been put on an RCD. Also maybe I am wrong, but who puts satisfactory when there is an electric shower with no RCD, just sends a shiver up my spine. I thought at the end of the day it comes down to the testers professional look at the regs are a guide.

Could I have said satisfactory then you think?

No you inspect and test to the current version of the regulations, and code accordingly. New works which don't comply receive the same codes as 30 year old installations with teh same non-compliances.

No you inspect and test to the current version of the regulations, and code accordingly. New works which don't comply receive the same codes as 30 year old installations with teh same non-compliances.
So a shower just on a mcb you would code c3?
Looks like I am too harsh then.

My mrs recently new bezzy girl mates partner has some property, my mrs said, " my hubby do it for ya at a good rate "

joy i think. I had this gut feeling, you know the one! My mrs and her mate have been looking to get us two men friends, there was even talks of going camping, err don't think that will be happening now. Lol

Anyway, I will refer to him as the landlord but least you now know the connections.

The landlord URGENTLY needed to get a EICR pass certificate, so that the council would let him rent his property to one of their tenants. It's the weekend and I said " ok, I'd do it."

After doing a test, the test failed and I said it was in his best interest to just upgrade the whole board. Nothing was on a RCD, he had an electric shower recently installed as well as a boiler upgrade converted from a water heater tank to a combi no RCD . I charged him 350 total, (I hate favours) this included changing to metal light fitting to pendants cos no earth just a flex visible, installing another 2 lights that were off the wall, replace two 1 gang sockets, clipping a twin earth to wall in the out house and Changing a pull cord. Bonding from 6 to 10 mm. Also after removing the cooker switch had to extend the cables.

Anyway the tenant moves in on the Monday, uses the oven and the RCD trips. Great, I just knew it! I went round there, I disconnect the oven re-check the insulation of the 6mm cable as I need to lengthen the cables of the cooker socket after removing it, could of be a fault there. It reads 216 meg ohms, I check the oven it reads 0.96meg at first and slowly goes up every time it recheck it. I tell him it's the oven. I put the oven back In as it reads 3 meg the time I last check. It tripped again after about 10 minutes. I was there 2 hours.

He is under the impression that it is to do with the work I done and said in the form of a text, "well I thought you passed this property and it was good to go." I then politely explained that I only checked the fixed wiring. I also I hinted that I wanted extra money.

After much explaining and explaining the difference between mcb and RCD I told him that he needed a new oven. There was many texts thrown backward and forwards.

I ended saying, " look ! Don't worry about paying me for this extra call, there's nothing more I can do, you need a new oven and find another electrician. I didn't end it to professionally I know, but man I thought I was the one doing the favour, I did get annoyed with he constant questioning as if I am trying to rip him off saying well it was working before. I would be interested what he would of been charged by going to a local firm. I did Explain well there wasn't an RCD before and push in mcbs don't pick up this kind of fault.

he then started saying well he finds it rather strange, the guy told me he had his part p so you would expect he would understand what I was explaining.

Anyway now it's playing on mind. I just want to know now, will he get a oven, will he get another electrician out. cos sure what of he does replace the oven and it does still trip. Arrrrh ! Give me comfort someone lol also how would you deal with this professionally because having to send texting explaining how an RCD works and the difference between an RCD and mcb just didn't do it for me.

thanks in advance for any replies

Jim

i dont know.

People will have you working 24/7 for favours. I don't do "favours" for anyone apart from my closest family. Some people think you run a charity rather than make a living. :)

Although, It's probably the oven element, a quick check and offering a price to change the element out might have been an answer he would have accepted. Then again if he is as bigger idiot as you describe probably not.

Anyway we live and learn.

The shower would depend on any supplementary bonding too... If there is bonding it's only a code3

Reply to RCD trip after board upgrade. Frustration who on my side? Who's on landlords? A rant! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net