Discuss Replacing OEM cabin lights with LED strip lights. Can it be done? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, firstly thank you for you forum, as a newbie to auto electrics this forum has been really informative.

im converting a Renault Trafic into a day camper and I’m looking to replace the OEM internal cabin lights that come on automatically when opening the van side or rear doors in what would be the load space with self adhesive LED strip that would be more in keeping with the camper feel of the van. Can this be done? I’ve had a little play however, as a test when I connect the strip +ive and -ive leads to the corresponding +ive and -ive terminals in the OEM bulb holder to essentially directly replace the bulb I have no luck in the strip lighting up.

The OEM bulb is a 12v 6w...

EAE2645E-CE5F-430B-80F7-72B6E036D9C1.jpeg

the LED strip is 4.8w per metre self adhesive strip...

C5983EBA-7110-4FBB-BF27-450513D2AD4C.jpeg
thanks in advance and sorry if I’m asking a stupid question and I’m trying something I should!

The car electrics often go well above 12 volt - up to about 15volts in normal conditions when engine is running. LEDs are more sensitive to this than the bulbs you are replacing. Over voltage can cause them to run too hot and shorten their life. No idea how spikes car voltage is or if it will matter for your purpose. I would think about options such as:
  • Buy a strip intended for cars or check with manufacturer if the one you have will cope.
  • Buy a separate electronic module (buck converter I think it’s called are not expensive) that will output a constant voltage best option but a fuss and maybe unnecessary .
  • Simply wire a resistor in series ( maybe a variable resistor if you want to be able to dim the lighting).
  • Avoid having the lights on while battery is being boost charged.

I am not an electrician or electronics expert so use the above as a basis for further research!

I used to have a works Vauxhall Vivaro which is the same as a Trafic and fitted LED lighting to the back. I had 2 strips the width of the van. One off the front rear interior light and one on the rear interior light. I just wired them with spade connectors direct to the the wires going to the two interior lights. Had no problem at all. Actually the LED strips are now on their 3rd van and still working well. Just cheap rolls of LED strip off ebay. Are you sure you have them connected the right way around? Have you got a meter to check?

Hi,have you connected your LED feed wires,to that capless lamp's receptacles?

If you have gone from connections in the lamp unit,you may not have the correct 12v and ground.
Check for polarity and such,with a test lamp.

Some of those interior light units,will have live,switched live,and a ground.....which may not be a cable,but could rely on the vehicle ground,when screwed back in position.

i got 4 m of led stripin back of hiace. wired direct from onterior light. been in 4 years without any trouble.

Reply to Replacing OEM cabin lights with LED strip lights. Can it be done? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net