Discuss Reversed polarity - who to blame? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was at a job to day and watched the DNO change a main cut out
2 people was their .talking to the wait for it .a young lady .
she told me that a contractor fitted a cut out wrong polarity sacked their and then .

That's where Part P and suitably qualified competent electricians don't compute.

Pete, this is a continuing argument or opinion you have, there's lots of so you call 'Part P qualified electricians' out there. Just because they've chosen to join one of these schemes, doesn't make them less qualified, as is does not make them more qualified.

Pete, this is a continuing argument or opinion you have, there's lots of so you call 'Part P qualified electricians' out there. Just because they've chosen to join one of these schemes, doesn't make them less qualified, as is does not make them more qualified.
Pete, you need to see the video by that Ninga bloke.

Forget this rubbish Part P qualified or PartP approved.

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question but the setup in the UK is different than it is here. What exactly do you call the 'cut-out' and what exactly do you call the 'head' on a typical domestic supply?

So, with pme the conductor that the earth would be linked to in the head would be live making the earth live and all metalwork bonded to it would also be live - taps, radiators, boiler etc, any metal light fittings, cooker case etc. In this scenario anything connected to a actual earth would create a fault current and operate an upstream device (300A fuse)

NO.
Assuming the polarity into the cutout/head was correct on the DNO side all that was wrong was the neutral was on the red cable through the meter to the C.U Live side.
And the Live was on the black through the meter to the C.U Neutral side.
The Earth was still Earth.

The O.P states no voltage Line (Red) to Earth

I'm sure this is probably a dumb question but the setup in the UK is different than it is here. What exactly do you call the 'cut-out' and what exactly do you call the 'head' on a typical domestic supply?
Head and cut-out are generally the same thing, it is the final point at which the suppliers cable connects with the service fuse/s and the means of earthing if provided.

I was in process of leaving as the dno arrived(only took them 30 mins from when I called- must have been a quiet day) so didn't stick around to long as I had another job to get to on way home.
Not 100% confident its right in all honesty. Much like you @telectrix - if they have just swapped cables around then they haven't really resolved the fault if it was pre cut out.
I identified the reversed polarity, called the DNO they came out and have said its sorted and is safe. I have covered my arse and ultimately the DNO have given it a clean bill of health.
Rather luckily for the customer, she changed a light fitting upstairs last week before aware of the fault, nice shiny metal one... flicked the mcb off and whole time good chance that the neutral was still live when fitting it!

They are very limited on what they can give a clean bill of health...

OP- Any photo of the cutout from before you left?
No i didnt take one as the other pics were so the customer could send to the landlord. As them tails out the bottom need sorting. I also take a picture of a cu when ever i open it and test so i have record of how it was when i left it. That way if somebody alters it and messes up i got evidence etc... takes seconds but potentially saves a lot of aggro later on.

I remember years ago at the first company I worked for a so-called electrician installed the polarity of the L & N in the main consumer unit switch reversed (split 1 rcd board lights protected by mcb) didn't do any testing just self-connected and on this day went home came in the next day well there was an L to E fault (I think) and as the mcb was now in the neutral did not trip all the 1.0mm T & E pvc cable from the C.U to the fifth light was all burnt.

NO.
Assuming the polarity into the cutout/head was correct on the DNO side all that was wrong was the neutral was on the red cable through the meter to the C.U Live side.
And the Live was on the black through the meter to the C.U Neutral side.
The Earth was still Earth.

The O.P states no voltage Line (Red) to Earth

Exactly.

I was pointing out the consequence of reverse polarity on the DNO side (as had been suggested) and why it was extremely unlikely

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh, I should have said "Part P qualified and Competent Electricians doesn't always compute, it was not my intention to lump all Part P electricians in the same boat" so point taken, but you are correct I do have a bee in my bonnet about this issue, probably always will. Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh, I should have said "Part P qualified and Competent Electricians doesn't always compute, it was not my intention to lump all Part P electricians in the same boat" so point taken, but you are correct I do have a bee in my bonnet about this issue, probably always will. Thanks for the reply.

Would you be happy if they described themselves as 'Part P scheme registered, as well as competent'?

Would you be happy if they described themselves as 'Part P scheme registered, as well as competent'?
If they could prove that they were competent, because gaining a non qualification and describing themselves as Part P qualified is laughable imo. How many people do you see or hear about saying I have the 17th, Part P and PAT and class themselves as electricians and to top it all they are registered with some CP Scheme, Certsure have said that they loose 10% of their membership annually and when pressed to clarify how many are lost due to non conformity it is 2% of that 10% so in realty it's 0.02% of the membership, and a lot of the members have 1 or more of the 3 qualifications I mentioned earlier, not all because of course there are exceptions to the rule, and are very competent electricians to boot, so please don't say I am referring to all short course people because I'm not.

Last edited:

Reply to Reversed polarity - who to blame? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net