Discuss Scottish Electrician Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently in Scotland and I am looking to retrain to be an Electrician.

I was looking at going down to England and sitting my C&G 3 diploma (2365), Inspection and testing (2391-52), and 18th edition ( 2382-18).

Once I have these what work I am actually allowed to carry out and self-certify in Scotland, would it be minor domestic electrical work that does not require a warrant?

I would then look to become a competent person through NICEIC. I would like to know if this is the correct route to go down. are there other or preferable schemes? Is this necessary to work in the trade?

Any help would be great, I just don't want to go down the line and then find I am very limited in what I can actually do!

Cheers, Jock

As per your previous post, no, this does not actually achieve the level required to demonstrate competency.

2365 is an introduction, it needs to be followed up with 2357 or equivalent, for example it only contains 8 hours of practical installation type work.

The document I posted on your previous (same) question explains this fully.

To be considered competent you should achieve the levels required for the type of work you are doing, outlined in that document.

You can then also apply to a scheme if you wish in order to do notifiable work.

As per your previous post, no, this does not actually achieve the level required to demonstrate competency.

2365 is an introduction, it needs to be followed up with 2357 or equivalent, for example it only contains 8 hours of practical installation type work.

The document I posted on your previous (same) question explains this fully.

To be considered competent you should achieve the levels required for the type of work you are doing, outlined in that document.

You can then also apply to a scheme if you wish in order to do notifiable work.
Hi Julie,

Yes I understand that now. What do you think about the NICEIC Competant person route?

Am I right in thinking there is a greater scope for domestic work in scotland that does not require a warrant, and is this industry saturated in your experience?

Thanks again, Jock

From what I have seen the domestic industry is extremely saturated with a mixture of absolute clowns and people will do the job properly, but sadly the homeowners don't always see it that way and will go for the cheapest option. There is money to be made if you build up the right customer base, otherwise its a race to the bottom.

Hi Julie,

Yes I understand that now. What do you think about the NICEIC Competant person route?

Am I right in thinking there is a greater scope for domestic work in scotland that does not require a warrant, and is this industry saturated in your experience?

Thanks again, Jock
The type of work required for notification is quite different between England and Scotland, but I would think ends up around the same, if you concentrate on work in detached properties, it would require fewer notifications in Scotland than the same work in England, on the other hand, almost all work in tenements in Scotland would require notification.

(You need to be fully conversant with the building regulations in regard to electrical btw)

As for schemes, I am not sure there is much to choose between them.

Getting an apprenticeship is hard, I get youngsters that cannot even be bothered to call and let you know they will not arrive for work experience

The compotent person schemes were tightened up recently and unless you are time served with experience you will find it hard to gain NICEIC / SELECT accreditaiton

I'm currently in Scotland and I am looking to retrain to be an Electrician.

I was looking at going down to England and sitting my C&G 3 diploma (2365), Inspection and testing (2391-52), and 18th edition ( 2382-18).

Once I have these what work I am actually allowed to carry out and self-certify in Scotland, would it be minor domestic electrical work that does not require a warrant?

I would then look to become a competent person through NICEIC. I would like to know if this is the correct route to go down. are there other or preferable schemes? Is this necessary to work in the trade?

Any help would be great, I just don't want to go down the line and then find I am very limited in what I can actually do!

Cheers, Jock
Just had a look on the NICEIC site:

Change to the applicant Qualified Supervisor qualification and experience requirements from September 2020 and September 2021 including - a requirement for two years responsibility for electrotechnical work and ongoing continuing Professional Development and - from Sept 21 the requirement to hold a formal ‘craft’ qualification as well as BS 7671 and inspection and testing qualifications for applicant QS’s, with recognition of previous experience of being a registered QS within the last 2 years.

You will now need a recognised trade apprenticeship from SECTT or similar, short courses without relevant trade experience are no longer a route.
I heard they tightened up things after short course people caused problems (contractor guarantee)

My son has done his trade and is qualified- he now has to sit the ACA (approved exam) and pass it to allow him to become a QS under NICEIC or SELECT, you have to wait 2 years post completion of apprenticeship prior to doing the ACA

My advice to anyone wanting to train and qualify in Scotland- find a registered firm for work experience / apprentceship

From what I have seen the domestic industry is extremely saturated with a mixture of absolute clowns and people will do the job properly, but sadly the homeowners don't always see it that way and will go for the cheapest option. There is money to be made if you build up the right customer base, otherwise its a race to the bottom.
Okay, good to know. That is essential to what I thought, it does feel like there is a plethora of cowboys out there, and definitely something I want to avoid. Cheers for the info!

Just had a look on the NICEIC site:

Change to the applicant Qualified Supervisor qualification and experience requirements from September 2020 and September 2021 including - a requirement for two years responsibility for electrotechnical work and ongoing continuing Professional Development and - from Sept 21 the requirement to hold a formal ‘craft’ qualification as well as BS 7671 and inspection and testing qualifications for applicant QS’s, with recognition of previous experience of being a registered QS within the last 2 years.

You will now need a recognised trade apprenticeship from SECTT or similar, short courses without relevant trade experience are no longer a route.
I heard they tightened up things after short course people caused problems (contractor guarantee)

My son has done his trade and is qualified- he now has to sit the ACA (approved exam) and pass it to allow him to become a QS under NICEIC or SELECT, you have to wait 2 years post completion of apprenticeship prior to doing the ACA

My advice to anyone wanting to train and qualify in Scotland- find a registered firm for work experience / apprentceship
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have spoken to NICEIC and they have explained the process and courses necessary to eventually become a QS. My plan is to complete the introductory courses in England and then beg my way into a Scottish firm as an electrical mate to get as much varied experience as possible.

It is interesting that they have been tightening the scheme rules. It feels like it is a good time to get my head down and progress through the industry. It seems like in a few years, certified electricians will become harder to come by.

The type of work required for notification is quite different between England and Scotland, but I would think ends up around the same, if you concentrate on work in detached properties, it would require fewer notifications in Scotland than the same work in England, on the other hand, almost all work in tenements in Scotland would require notification.

(You need to be fully conversant with the building regulations in regard to electrical btw)

As for schemes, I am not sure there is much to choose between them.

Great to know, thanks for the info. Seems like there is plenty to learn, and I am looking forward to it.

Call me on the business phone 01563760999 and I will have a chat

Do NOT do a short course as you will be wasting your money
Hello! I have been trying to ring but I am currently in Indonesia where I am teaching at the moment, so the signal is a bit rubbish. If you are still okay with a quick chat I will try again later this week if that's alright with you.

Thanks again, Jock

Reply to Scottish Electrician Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net