Discuss SDS & hole saws in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Or one of these:
Holesaw - Dust and Debris Eliminator

Well worth the price.

prior to getting one of these a couple of weeks ago (def. recommend too) used downlight box to manufacture a diy one. works well too.

Good suggestion, thanks! This may well be worth doing for jobs needing a lot of holes sawing. Maybe not so much for one or two, given the extra time spent in traffic jams at the beginning and end of the day!

selfmade, some hireshops deliver to site (if you didn't know this already!). saves lugging 110 tranny especially if no labourer/apprentice!!!!

Interesting, thanks. I can't help thinking some kind of plastic tub like a yogurt pot only flatter could do the job though...

There used to be margarine tubs about 6" diameter and quite shallow - maybe 1.5 inches deep? Can't remember what make the margarine was or if it's still on sale though.

Related question - I owe you guys a lot! Do you cool an SDS bit with water when in use? I quickly took to doing that with ordinary masonry bits after bending and 'untwisting' a few! Might help with the dust in motor issue as well...

just clear the 'swarf' (dust in this case) often. you'll know when you've let it run too long between clearing as the 'ducking fust' will come out under pressure, most comical when someone else does it drilling at head height!!!

I agree.

It's better than the plastic bag because it catches the dust. The plastic bag does not - it only stops it from getting sucked into the machine, but it can be useful for more applications than drilling holes for downlights.

If I were fitting downlights I think I would but one of these gadgets.

hi g.s. wondered if you might further share your plastic bag tips please. i'm guessing one would be drilling in rain? possible outsider: to isolate sparks from motor (before h&s got involved in everything!!)?

Interesting, thanks. I can't help thinking some kind of plastic tub like a yogurt pot only flatter could do the job though...

The point about the DADE is that it's very flexible, with a hard plastic bush where the holesaw shank goes through. This means that it seals to the ceiling before the teeth start cutting and flexes to allow the cut to be made. Also, as it stays on the drill, no need to hold it, so two hands for the drill or one for the drill and one for the ladder.

Here's one I made with a dust extraction port for core drilling a 107mm hole from the inside:
IMG_8543 - Copy.JPG

The job was this bathroom extractor fan. I chain drilled the tiles and broke out the middle. Then core drilled from the inside. It was in a nice ground floor rental flat, and the landlord was keen to keep the mess to a minimum, so he held the dust catcher while I drilled.
IMG_8538 - Copy.JPG

The masking tape on the bath was to keep the sealant clean and stop the ply board I put over the new bath from scratching it.

By the way, it was surface run as ceiling was concrete and no access from above or via adjacent room.

Here's one I made with a dust extraction port for core drilling a 107mm hole from the inside:
View attachment 23469

The job was this bathroom extractor fan. I chain drilled the tiles and broke out the middle. Then core drilled from the inside. It was in a nice ground floor rental flat, and the landlord was keen to keep the mess to a minimum, so he held the dust catcher while I drilled.
View attachment 23470

The masking tape on the bath was to keep the sealant clean and stop the ply board I put over the new bath from scratching it.

By the way, it was surface run as ceiling was concrete and no access from above or via adjacent room.

That's one of my tricks!

I knew I should have got a patent on it! ;)

There's no need to hold it against the wall as long as you have a roll of trusty gaffer tape (the Roadies best friend)

I never did. I think you could make the overheating problem worse by turning the concrete / brick dust into mud which would clog the flutes of the drill.

If yo have to cool it I would suggest a steady blast of compressed air, but then you're getting into problems of where to get it from and the dust that will be flying around.

Your problem with "ordinary masonry drills" is one of speed - you were running it too damned fast! Slow it down a bit and let the drill bit do the work in its own time.

If you want to be a real clever shyte, you can calculate how fast you should be running the drill bit at from the formula N= 12xS / Pi x d

where: N= spindle speed in RPM (this is the bit you're trying to find out)
12 is a constant (cos this formula uses imperial units)
S is the cutting speed of the material (brick or whatever) in feet per minute
Pi is 3.14
d is the diameter (in inches) of the drill.

There is a metric variation on this but I could never be arsed to learn it.

Hi again Geordie Spark

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I find 'S' for a given material? I was looking on the web just now and found loads of tables and the like for drilling various metals, and for coring concrete, but nothing for drilling concrete or granite. I feel like I am missing something obvious here...

prior to getting one of these a couple of weeks ago (def. recommend too) used downlight box to manufacture a diy one. works well too.

Will probably try a few such solutions before shelling out again!

selfmade, some hireshops deliver to site (if you didn't know this already!). saves lugging 110 tranny especially if no labourer/apprentice!!!!

I didn't know this thanks! Nope no labourer or apprentice, that's a way off I think! So definitely worth considering this if the need arrises!

There used to be margarine tubs about 6" diameter and quite shallow - maybe 1.5 inches deep? Can't remember what make the margarine was or if it's still on sale though.

I remember Stalk margarine used to come in tubs about 6" diameter. I thought they were deeper than 1.5" but I might be wrong. They came in several colours which were entirely random - the contents of each was exactly the same. But that was in the early '90s when I was kid so doubt if they are still around!

The quality of the help & advice all depends on how you ask the question really. You've done well. :)

Thanks - you mean not saying something like "I was asked to make a hole in something so I tried to use my drill (don't know what kind). It didn't work though. Does anyone know why not? Or what the thing is made of? Or if I should check if the right kind of bit is in the drill, or if there is a bit?"

I am bound to make a fool of myself now!

By the way I tried out my SDS for the first time this afternoon - can't believe I didn't get round to it sooner! It is a dream to use - goes through granite like it was putty!

I will be using it on a job this week - can't wait!

I remember Stalk margarine used to come in tubs about 6" diameter. I thought they were deeper than 1.5" but I might be wrong. They came in several colours which were entirely random - the contents of each was exactly the same. But that was in the early '90s when I was kid so doubt if they are still around!

Dont you mean Stork :ciappa:?

But I think you will find it was.............(quietly) Flora :grin:.

Boydy

Dont you mean Stork :ciappa:?

But I think you will find it was.............(quietly) Flora :grin:.

Boydy

Lol, you are quite right, Stork!
icon11.png
And I'm pretty sure it was their tubs I am thinking of - I remember white storks on various coloured backgrounds. But my mind could be playing tricks on me. The tubs were quite solid for re-use - hence the colours, so you could remember what you put in them. Maybe Flora made similar ones.

I did the most bizarre internet search - "historic margarine tubs", but couldn't see the ones I am thinking of!

Anyway, butter beats them all IMHO, but I can't see a butter wrapper making a very good dust cup!

Thanks - you mean not saying something like "I was asked to make a hole in something so I tried to use my drill (don't know what kind). It didn't work though. Does anyone know why not? Or what the thing is made of? Or if I should check if the right kind of bit is in the drill, or if there is a bit?"

I am bound to make a fool of myself now!

I was thinking more along the lines of: "Hi new here just done a cu change and the rcd keeps tripping any ideas??" :banghead:

Horses for courses.

I have my Dewalt 18v combi for light stuff, a cheap 110v Ryobi SDS that I've had for about 7 years and a Milwaukee core drill I've had for longer, that I use for well... for core drilling.

I used the Milwaukee to put a 4" hole through 2' of black basalt not that long ago.
I can assure you even with a decent core bit it was nothing like a hot knife through butter.

I work on the principle that if I use each drill for what it's designed for then I'll still be using them happily for years.

Reply to SDS & hole saws in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net