Discuss Seeking advice in regards to completing NVQ3 Electrical Install in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Venomx1990

Trainee
Reaction score
Just seeking a bit of advice really in what to do at the moment work/NVQ wise.

Currently 30 years old have 1.5 years experience installing various things : SWA/FP200/transformers/sockets/switches etc on building sites, done a little domestic as well whilst with a previous company.
I am working for a Uninterruptible power supplies company as a workshop engineer, connecting up testing fault finding their 3ph units. However it just feels like this is a "job just to pay the bills" & that I am not learning/improving my skills through everyday work.

I am funding/completing my NVQ3 myself being doing this for approx 8 months but finding it challenging as I dont really want to "fake" the pictures required. A family member has been kind enough to let me use their garage if needs be but is this how most people end up completing the NVQ3??.

Just wondering if anyone had any reliable agencies or companies they know of in South Yorkshire that could help me with proper installer work etc.
I rang round quite a few firms/sent emails but obviously with coronavirus things have become more difficult.

sorry if this is in the wrong section & not your typical post.
Thanks,
Regards,
Ven

A family member has been kind enough to let me use their garage if needs be but is this how most people end up completing the NVQ3??.

I know a few guys that do domestic work and had to "fake" metal conduit etc by installing some in their garage just for the photos. I'm not saying that it's right but I suppose you've got to do what you've got to do to get yourself qualified.

Its a right Minefield Mate, to be honest I got a bit overwhelmed by it all and buried my head in the sand.
Ive only just started on it again after a massive hoo ha at work and am really struggling on where to start!!
Good Luck

I know a few guys that do domestic work and had to "fake" metal conduit etc by installing some in their garage just for the photos. I'm not saying that it's right but I suppose you've got to do what you've got to do to get yourself qualified.
Back in the day when I was doing my NVQ I basically had to offer my labour for free if I could complete the relevant parts of my diary on the basis my college assessor could come to site to observe my work,

I think I am just letting it get to me, worrying about if the pictures are good enough etc.
Thanks for the feedback & Lister its definitely me in the pictures doing the work. I suppose as long as I know how to do it and why then thats good enough. :)

I hold two level 3 NVQs, an A1 Assessors certificate and have guided and assessed over 30 people through the NVQ process.

None has anything to do with the electrical industry and the last was eight years ago but the procedure is the same.

Simulation was a valid tool to demonstrate competence, provided the simulation was honest.

We'd have things like competence in emergency procedures that never in reality arose, thankfully, and if they did the last thing you'd be doing is taking pictures.

Building functioning rigs in your garage will demonstrate all the necessary knowledge and competences but there is a limit.

No verifier is going to sign off on a complete NVQ carried out from your garage but the occasional use of an accurate and honest simulation to fill gaps won't be a problem.

Reply to Seeking advice in regards to completing NVQ3 Electrical Install in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net