Discuss self employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnh1986

What do you need to start off as a self employed electricain i have a full apprentiship and 17th asbestos awareness cscs ecs etc and 10yrs experience

Do i also need to be part p etc

Cheers john

you need to abide by part p for domestic work. that usually entails joining a competent persons scam such as niceic, elecsa or napit. if you download the part p doc. from planning portal, it will tell you what work is notifiable to building compost ( soz. control)

Do i also need the likes of 2391 and whats the crack woth the likes of shops hotels offices etc do i have to notify building control with them etc or is that done via the client. Is it best to go niceic at the start or could i jus use a friend who is with napit to sign work off

you don't need 2391 ( which is now defunct and replaced with 2394/5). you need to be competent. part p applies only to domestic, not to commercialo and industrial.

Part P only covers domestic premises not commercial or industrial. So if you're going to do some house bashing either register with a Part P provider or be prepared to pay LABC costs!

As for 2391 you dont need that to do EICR/periodics just be "competent". Clearly having 2391 goes a long way to showing this -- along with relevant experience in the type of work your inspecting.

What do you need to start off as a self employed electricain

Absolutely no quals whatsoever, however as said for domestic you would benefit from part P registration for which you probably have enough quals already.

For non Domestic you just need to convince the client you can do the job, unless they specify membership of NICEIC or another.

So what happens to test sheets if doin commercial or industrial. As for part p i no my local college do a 1-2 days course for full scope is it cheaper to do it that way rather than pay niciec etc the money

Technically you don't need 2394/2395 to test, you only need to be competent but if i was you i'd want the qualifications.

Because if you do something wrong, and someone gets hurt and you can't provide either the 2391 or 2394/2395 in court you aren't gonna have a leg to stand on.

Treat yourself, broaden the knowledge and sit the exams.

the course is only to teach you the requirements of part p. you still need to part with wads of cash to nic whatever. forget the course. all they teach you is freely available from planning portal.

you don't need 2391 ( which is now defunct and replaced with 2394/5). you need to be competent. part p applies only to domestic, not to commercialo and industrial.
who is it Tel who keeps sayin everyone needs the 2391 to test?....
gets about does this and i wouldn`t mind knowing where its coming from...

Thanks for the advice just really thinking of starting up and would like things set in place before i do it. I had a good job with a local company and had been there for 7 years now decided it was time to move on to another company which all sounded better then after 7 days they told me they didnt have enougj work so now im on the dole im absolutly sick of the employee game sort of want to be my own boss and hopefully make some money and employ people myself maybe even give an apprentice a future

Correct, you dont need 2391 to test, you just have to be competent.

But as Markc alludes, in a court of law should things go wrong 2391 is a good way of showing competence when combined with experience.

Ive always been inspecting and testing "me lud" since I did my apprenticeship might not cut the mustard in todays litigative society where paper quals rule!!

And you could also possess the 2391 or 94 or 95, and still overlook something or misconstrue a scenario. And you arse still might not touch if you end up in court!

And you could also possess the 2391 or 94 or 95, and still overlook something or misconstrue a scenario. And you arse still might not touch if you end up in court!

Indeed. Difference is 2391 proves that you were competent and made a mistake, lack of 2391 means you cant prove you were competent in the 1st place and the resultant penalties are consequently very different. I wouldn`t do an EICR without 2391 and a good PI policy for all the tea in China

Hi mate dont bother with part p course buy the electricians guide to building regs but this may be a bit out dated now as they have just changed part p requirements so there are less jobs that now need notifyng via A SCHEME OR LABC also download Part P and other building regs from planning portal free as there are other building regs you need to comply with also and on site guide, BS7671

regsiter with a scheme pay there scam fees and PLI insurance calibrated test equipment and know how to use it and carry out all required tests and safe isolation procedure

you only need this for domestic for industrial and commercial there is no part p but the work still needs Inspecting and testing as well as certifcation one original copy to client and or customer and one kept by you for 3 years

good luck

Thanks for that advice bruce am just really thinking about it might shift a few business cards tomorrow cause i dont fancy the dole just wish i new how to approach estate agents shops etc

Haha thats very true like maybe get a bit smartly dressed and head around a few place

This time next year rodney ........ Well fingers crossed anyway

What do you need to start off as a self employed electricain i have a full apprentiship and 17th asbestos awareness cscs ecs etc and 10yrs experience

Do i also need to be part p etc

Cheers john

all i did was buy a van, got some cards made up and KERCHING !! made 2k last week !!

Haha, im really pleased.

Who you been scamming now then? Robbing anymore old ladies by any chance? And, most of all...are you still pretending to be an electrician?

im not taking the bait mate ! my business cards say approved electrician so........................

Im giving you an hour before you step out of line and are on your next suspension lol.

What did you write on your business cards then? Boycie Bodging Services ?
Mark don't feed the troll mate, don't get yourself a ban by responding to the stupidity. It's not worth it

Reply to self employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net