Discuss Shelly EM with AC charged solar battery? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Max105

DIY
Reaction score
I currently have solar array and was going to purchase Shelly EM to monitor Grid in/out and solar production. So far so good.

But I also plan in not too distant future to add a self-build LiFePO4 battery (self-build) with, most likely, Victron Multi-Plus II, because my panels are remote from the house and have FIT generation meter, so it's more convenient to keep whole battery system AC and charge it with any spare capacity from the solar.

So ultimately I want to monitor three circuits. Grid, Solar and Battery. Can more than one Shelly EM be used together to achieve this as obviously the single Shelly EM has space for only two CT clamps?

Alternatively, can Shelly 3EM be used on single phase system using the three-phase clamps to monitor three totally separate single-phase paths or is it strictly for 3-phase systems?

Searched for info at Shelly but don't see any mention of monitoring battery systems. I now there are Chinese units on Amazon but not interested in those or their cloud-connected systems, like the Emporia for example. The other one I'm looking at is OpenEnergy emon Pi but they don't seem to be available at the moment and still only two CT clamp inputs AFAIKS? The emonTx4 gets very pricey as all the parts for the system are added on but maybe I will just need to bite the bullet and go that route, but the Shelly is so neat, seems well regarded and reasonably priced and seems to measure true RMS so it would probably suit me well.

Reply to Shelly EM with AC charged solar battery? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net