spotlights pain to connect | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss spotlights pain to connect in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lister

your thoughts please chaps,

gu10 fire rate spots, doing a pir and twin and earth cables feed spots only the insulation is stripped back past terminal block, now ive done this in the past myself when the termination box is so damm small and rarther than strain cables on a pair of twin and earths stripped them long so 1/2 inch of single insulated cable showing .
bearing in mind they are in the ceiling void, out of reach, should be isolated before removal etc etc

your thoughts please chaps,

gu10 fire rate spots, doing a pir and twin and earth cables feed spots only the insulation is stripped back past terminal block, now ive done this in the past myself when the termination box is so damm small and rarther than strain cables on a pair of twin and earths stripped them long so 1/2 inch of single insulated cable showing .
bearing in mind they are in the ceiling void, out of reach, should be isolated before removal etc etc

I have trouble with them sometimes when theirs more than one cable being terminated into them. Some aren't made for 2 cables.

Aslong as they aren't exposed to anything I couldn't see the problem myself.

Where the sheath has been removed from a cable its cores must be enclosed within an accessory or enclosure of the appropriate standard. 526.9 Code 4

This would be a code 2 if they were accessible to touch.

I use round 20a j/bs what do you mean by click fittings like the sound of it

Round JB's are not really suitable as the cables cannot be secured properly unless the box is fixed and so strictly speaking dont comply.....although personally I cant see much wrong with them.
Click fittings are purpose made 2 part connectors and perfect for the job,your wholesaler will stock them or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wire them on the floor at your leisure with t&e, guestimating the cable lengths. Then run them individualy to a fixed (big) JB installed so as to be accessible etc and clipping the cables along the run.
You then just push the cables through holes first, followed by the downlighter itself. Then up into the loft to do the cable runs to the JB. :)

i never install TWE into down lighters , one reason is the heat once you push the down lighter into the ceiling you dont know where the cables go ,two the cables are hard and tend to push the down lighter out and three as youve said a bitch to wire so its very flexible 90 degree 1 mm heat resistant cable an ashley J501 junction box and no problems wiring them , so in and out of the JB with the twin and earth and a 1 mm HR drop in flex , another reason is that if you have quite a few say 10 on a circuit , the first one has all the load for the whole circuit across the terminal block and those terminal block are so small 3 6 amp ???

I use click flow 16a push in connectors from QVS about £1.40 each.
T&E into the primary and flex or lv transformer into the secondary plug
Ideal for mains or low voltage and you can wire the light fitting whist sitting down :)

The terminal block on the JCCs is a least 15 amp ( maybe 20 amp) and they have a cable clamp big enough to clamp two cables and the block is not mounted directly over the lamp so heat is not a problem. You do do sometimes have a problem with the cables pushing against a nearby joist but I check before I push them up so rarely get any major problems. Saves all that faffing about with JBs etc
The cost via denmans is £7.33 +vat for a GU10 in white

Reply to spotlights pain to connect in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net