Discuss The city and guilds 2391-52 or the eal version. Help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I haven't posted for a while. But any information on the following would be appreciated. Thankyou

Hi I am in for my level 3 inspection exam and may be dyslexic. I really want to go for the 2391-52 but my tutor is asking me to go for the eal version. Could any 1 in the group advise me what the written part of the city and guilds is like. Or if I fail that part do I just resit that part. Thanks

I was told that the pass rate for c&g is 80% while the pass rate for eal is 60% but the questions are harder.

i think there are 2 exams and 2 practical assessments. i believe you can resit any of those individually if you fail them
I misunderstood , I thought you meant that you only retook the parts of the exam you failed . Some exams are like that I believe.

I've done the C&G 2391-52

You have an online multiple choice exam, a written exam - 4 questions each with multiple sub questions, coding is done from photo's & then you also have a practical test on periodic & initial verification. Written exam is open book & not to bad.

Just photos of items for an example a DB. What issue can you see & what code would you give. They chatted with you if you had a different answer. Very laid back

I seem to remember there only being 7 or 8 short written questions, with only about 3 or 4 lines to write your answers.

One of the questions was about initial verification of an addition to an existing installation.
I wrote that I would de-energise and inform the client immediately about the broken socket.
Over the next page was another similar question about conducting a periodic.
I went back and crossed out my answer on the first question to write ‘replace the broken socket.’

In another question, I quoted a Reg. No. for overload protectionExaminer asked me about earth fault protection, so I took the paper back so I could find and write the earth fault Reg. No.

7 photos 1 with zero faults, 1 with 3 faults (I found 5), the other 5 with 1 or 2 faults.

There were 4 of us doing the Practical on 2 test rigs.
Me and another chap went first, we were given an EIC and EICR form each.
Supply Characteristics, installation address and circuit names were already filled out.
We did 2 circuits for initial verification then transferred the results from those circuits to the EICR and after the examiner/tutor switched in the 2 faults, we did the periodic.

After all the dead tests were done, they energised the boards and we did Ze, PFC and RCD tests.

We had to calculate Zs for all the circuits, which I forgot to do, so the examiner/tutor just gave me back the paper work so I could complete it.

While we were doing the paper work, another 2 guys came in to start on the boards.

There was a slight kerfuffle, when it turned out the examiner/tutor hadn’t switched off our faults.

The 2 hour 60 questions multiple choice exam, is the one that most fail.
Apparently the exam centre had once failed someone on the short written questions.
I believe the pass mark is 75%.

If you do the exam before 1st July, you will not get any questions about any of the changes in the 18th.

I believe the 2391 is a tougher course but if you're dyslexic you should be entitled to extra time. If the EAL is easier, why not go for that one as they are both equally recognised by the JIB.

Reply to The city and guilds 2391-52 or the eal version. Help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock