Discuss The point of being qualified? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

He knew the client, and could literally smooth talk himself out of any corner.
He sacked the 2 guys installing the system and totally blamed them. Neither of them were alarm installers, and had been hired with the promise of full trained (which he never gives). Turns over a mental amount of staff because he constantly hires unqualified chumps.

When he does hire guys who know what they are doing, he either upsets them with his bodging, or doesn't pay them. Not a pleasant guy.

Anyway... not much I can do except stay away.

Surely fire alarm systems should be installed and inspected by registered contractors. ?

Well I turned up to have a look. First thing? The installer guy had over-tightened the mains connector block on the alarm PCB and snapped it off the board.
So, he SOLDERED A 2.5mm T&E to the board PCB tracks directly ??? (got a photo somewhere).

That was bad enough, but then I realised no local isolator. Yep.... directly off a J401 JB on the shop ring main.
So PCB fused at 32A and not on it own dedicated supply. No local keyswitch isolator. That sums it up.

None of the FP earths had been linked at any call point, just snipped off.

Not one call point was at the same height as another. The call points in the warehouse had been 'glued' to the RSJ stanchions using silicon.

Cables were literally clipped every 2 metres. Just thrown over the suspended ceiling in the shop, no containment.

Plastic trunking across the ceilings in offices to smoke detectors. No metal cable clips within.

You could remove literally any smoke head and the system would not flag a fault or missing head.

Stand in the warehouse, trigger the system and you hear nothing. Not even a beacon or two to indicate a fire to the forklift drivers.

Any connections between cables done using plastic connector blocks (usually stuffed in a galv conduit box with no lid because they could not fit it all in).

No design paperwork. No zone plan. No test sheets. No commissioning paperwork.

I could go on.... it was horrific. And he still does it.

All the above should be put in writing, given to the client's director responsible for "Health and Safety" copied to "Trading Standards" and the "Fire Officer" they are then obliged to do something about it before it becomes a major incident, you don't even have to put your name on it, just a concerned electrician will do.

The European way of shrugging the shoulders whilst pursing your lips and blowing has become the norm in the UK over the last few years, perhaps that will change and we will no longer say "not my problem" and walk away leaving a client oblivious to the danger his operatives are in.

He knew the client, and could literally smooth talk himself out of any corner.
He sacked the 2 guys installing the system and totally blamed them. Neither of them were alarm installers, and had been hired with the promise of full trained (which he never gives). Turns over a mental amount of staff because he constantly hires unqualified chumps.

When he does hire guys who know what they are doing, he either upsets them with his bodging, or doesn't pay them. Not a pleasant guy.

Anyway... not much I can do except stay away.
There's a four letter word that describes that kind of person but I'm too polite to use it?.

Well I turned up to have a look. First thing? The installer guy had over-tightened the mains connector block on the alarm PCB and snapped it off the board.
So, he SOLDERED A 2.5mm T&E to the board PCB tracks directly ??? (got a photo somewhere).

That was bad enough, but then I realised no local isolator. Yep.... directly off a J401 JB on the shop ring main.
So PCB fused at 32A and not on it own dedicated supply. No local keyswitch isolator. That sums it up.

None of the FP earths had been linked at any call point, just snipped off.

Not one call point was at the same height as another. The call points in the warehouse had been 'glued' to the RSJ stanchions using silicon.

Cables were literally clipped every 2 metres. Just thrown over the suspended ceiling in the shop, no containment.

Plastic trunking across the ceilings in offices to smoke detectors. No metal cable clips within.

You could remove literally any smoke head and the system would not flag a fault or missing head.

Stand in the warehouse, trigger the system and you hear nothing. Not even a beacon or two to indicate a fire to the forklift drivers.

Any connections between cables done using plastic connector blocks (usually stuffed in a galv conduit box with no lid because they could not fit it all in).

No design paperwork. No zone plan. No test sheets. No commissioning paperwork.

I could go on.... it was horrific. And he still does it.
Don't lynch me but is there any requirement for a CPC in a 24V circuit?

Don't do fire alarms, a known unknown.

Don't lynch me but is there any requirement for a CPC in a 24V circuit?

Don't do fire alarms, a known unknown.
cpc's are always connected i fire alarms. detector bases even have a terminal for connection. not sure what funnction it serves regarding the alarm.

I don't think the earth is a requirement, but to my mind, it's a 'correct installation' thing.
How long does it take really to sleeve and tidy up the earth.

The bigger issue was that the clump handed snipping of the earth had lead to damaging the cores. Snipping the earth off flush with the end of the FP outer sheath, left the sharp earth between the cores.

thing is, with FP200, the cpc is useless for stripping off the sheath, so even a plumber or a builder would realise that it had an alternative purpose.

Yes well they are lucky they had the earth, as they used it in a few places to keep the loop going because somehow they had damaged one of the cores.
I have to find these pictures I took.
I opened a call point to find one core and the earth going into the call point - the other core was snipped off ?

Reply to The point of being qualified? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock