Discuss Tools / questions / quality issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SPARK2B

HI ALL,

just browsing building up my kit (trainee) found wot looks like a good deal...buutttt....i know there is a budget version of knipex out there called knipex "somthing"....

can anyone throw their eyeballs over these

KNIPEX VDE Pliers Set Combo | eBay

and let me know if this is a good buy .......i have seen these individualy going for between £21-£29 each , so this seems a good deal......also i keep seeing knipex -draper on knipex tool ads ?...whats that all about, did sumone buy someone, looked on inter-web, couldnt get info

as always, all and any help appreciated!!!

SPARK2b

I would use the normal pliers also, and the strippers would come out if I had a load of cables to dress in one go. The long nose and side cutters are in daily use. Knipex are decent, but a lil pricey. I like the Wiha gear too. Don't know anything about any budget Knipex mate.

Last edited:
Knipex and Draper have a partnership I believe Draper is an official Knipex distributor and hence the search will throw up Draper.

a google search will give more details if you require them

well, here is a cheaper set, of whia on ebay, don't bother buying expensive tools if your just starting out, chances are you'll probably throw them at your backside, or blow a hole in them before the end of first yearWiha 39096 VDE 3pc Plier Set | eBay

they are the decent snips as well.

cant beat this for a quality knife (dont let anyone borrow it causs you wont get it back)

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B8P60XM...500_QL40&qid=1402069839&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

use a pair of long nose (with tips filed) to take screw out to get the useless clip of then its great

good price at £11 as well, I got two, I had to take it back from the bosses toolbag when he wasnt looking when it mysteriously went missing a while ago

if recently started out, i'd buy kn ipex or CK snips with the 2 holes for stripping. that way you won 't need the strippers if using up to 2.5mm. those strippers in your OP are too slow, having to set then up each time you want to strip different csa.

hi all, the budget knipex i refer too were still indeed tested to VDE standards,..it was in a post on here i did, but i cannot find it for sum reason,...on the handles its got knipes, and summin else written, cant remember what,...comfort ?...summin along those lines......just cant find um again,....wont be buying them anyway......and i had always assumed the only diff between knipex yellow n red and knipex blue and red was that the latter wasnt VDE tested....making the blueys just "normal tools"......

as always guys,...all input and help, much appreciated.

spark2b

if recently started out, i'd buy kn ipex or CK snips with the 2 holes for stripping. that way you won 't need the strippers if using up to 2.5mm. those strippers in your OP are too slow, having to set then up each time you want to strip different csa.

a mate of mine, matty has these, and seriously sings their praises,..i had shyed away from them, .....UNTILL.....you mentioned speed,....now im intesested,.....very

thankyou for adding a dimension to this ....speed was summin i had not considered (and where speed is affected, annoyances start, etc etc.....i shoulda realised,...because even at college on the board jobs we build, swapping between snips and cutters can be a real choreswapping every few seconds it seems sometimes!!!.....(altho it seems worse than it is!!...

many thanks for this input......really

decisions decisions

(also, less to carry)

.........cheers telectrix!!! :punk::punk::punk::punk::punk:

I like c.k., wera and bacho but everyone finds what they prefer as you do more jobs, it's like buying trainers, everyone likes different feel, colour etc. If you find them good to use then go for it.

Reply to Tools / questions / quality issues in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net