Discuss TT detached garage or not ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Think I have asked the question before but just needing clearing up. Detached garage supplying some sockets and lights etc in the detached garage and supply for washing machine. There is no pipe work in the detached building yet but have asked to get a plastic pipe installed. Will this meet regs as being a plastic pipe will not be regarded as a extraneous conductive part so no need to TT the detached building. Plus flooring etc is getting strapped wooden flooring ? Replies will be much appreciated Thanks in advance ?

Hi all

Think I have asked the question before but just needing clearing up. Detached garage supplying some sockets and lights etc in the detached garage and supply for washing machine. There is no pipe work in the detached building yet but have asked to get a plastic pipe installed. Will this meet regs as being a plastic pipe will not be regarded as a extraneous conductive part so no need to TT the detached building. Plus flooring etc is getting strapped wooden flooring ? Replies will be much appreciated Thanks in advance ?
Hi. What's the earthing system in the main property?

Edit: Scrap that, I don't need to know it. No, you don't need to TT it, unless it comes under one of the special locations that require it in section 7.

It sounds like no need for a TT supply.

Even if you have extraneous parts to be bonded and the house is TN-C-S, that can be dealt with so long as the CPC is 10mm copper equivalent. Realistically, going 10mm 3-core SWA is the easiest option to meet that and might just be needed from a future load/volt-drop point of view.

The only real reason you might want/need to TT the outhouse is if there is something like a pool/hot-tub/heated sex pond where you really don't want any risk of an open PEN fault and wet folk on ground and in simultaneous electrical contact with the main CPC.

Thanks for the replies. Thats what I thought that I wouldn’t have to TT it as there won’t be any extraneous conductive parts as the supply pipe will be in plastic so acts the same as if you have plastic supply pipe to your house. No need to bond the pipe work as this is not a extraneous conductive part. ?

Reply to TT detached garage or not ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net