Discuss Unforeseen circumstances? What have you come up against...??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

I'm hoping this thread will help myself and others by learning about some of the unforeseen circumstances you guys have come up against after quoting for and agreeing on a price with your customer.

How have you addressed these situations in a way that has maintained customer satisfaction and protected you against taking the hit in your wallet and more importantly, protected your reputation?

Are there any that really stand out which you don't mind sharing please? perhaps you've seen some on a few occasions?

How have you protected yourself legally should this ever escalate to a customer deciding that they are not happy and have decided to decline payment for the work you have already done?

One situation that instantly springs to mind is when I was working as a mate for a spark last year and a couple of days into the job the customer asked how long it would be before they could get their car out of the garage because all power was off and they had electric power doors.... and lighting and numerous socket outlets down there too. This was never established before work commenced which I guess added a fair amount onto the agreed price.

Also, my brother wanted a cable run into his loft and dropped down into the bedroom. The consumer unit was in a cupboard which appeared to be directly beneath another cupboard that led straight into the loft... This was not the case, the cupboards were not completely in line and the ceiling of the cupboard above was a concrete slab that didn't go straight up into the loft. This was not a problem because my brother has helped me out a few times in the past and I wasn't charging him for anything anyway but it doubled the time I allowed and could have incurred a fair amount of additional charge if this work was being carried out for a customer.

Obviously experience has taught you guys to be thorough in your investigations and investigate certain areas in greater depth than others.

I appreciate any assistance your experience can offer but I also appreciate that your experience has been gained through many years of banging head against the wall and having to work it out for yourself. To those of you that choose not to share that is understood.

Thanks for reading

Regards

1SC :)

Here's an example of a recent "open schedule" contract. Feel free to use or dispose as you see fit. My wording not a solicitors so treat with the usual skepticism :D

Last edited:
Under unforeseen circumstances,difficulty of install after my own assessment of the job

Thats my problem,I'm supposed to be the professional who can and should be able to assess the work adequately
I didn't do so, thats my problem not the customer

If its obvious that something cant be adequately assessed,then a polite conversation about the problem and the time that could be involved

I have never agreed with any trade or business,big or small, providing a price that is agreed,then, rightly or wrongly, inflating the price because of reduced profit through cocking up the price,government included
eg Why should a tank have its price go through the roof after a few years because the government, not the firm, has taken the hit

Not possible.

I have one 1 occasion told the customer that it would be less as i'd done the job for a lot less than estimated. In turn they have had me back doing a lot more for them and family, so supose it can pay to be honest

i always under charge but always get left over materials. if its a 20m run of 1.5 i still buy full role, but remember im only on level3 still get about 8ph roughly and make them give me money for materials

Hell yes! every job i do is over priced on the cable, just in case. So much in fact the van is pulling wheelies theres that much left over gear in the back:tounge_smile:

Always an estimate along with a set of T&C's..... but also add on bottom of estimate as a highlighted foot note and fully explained to the customer :

It is a requirement that all existing earth bonding arrangements, circuits and equipment to be worked upon need to comply with current regulations, and should any underlying faults be present, then these will need to be rectified as an extra at £XX/hour + any materials required.

Just doubley covers my ---, recently got stung on a job (posted details on here) where done my install on RCD protected circuit (rcd already in place) came to do my tests at the end and rcd knackered >400mS. Customer not happy to pay so had to sort it myself and put in a new one :cuss:

Had a different scenerio recently where it was a bit of an over sight on my behalf. :disguise:... after a lot of hyping them up, giving it the big one etc....managed to get customer to go for 16 x dimmable halers LED downlights (quality gear) quoted him £20 for a standard 3 gang dimmer (which was within the range required) but came to the grand switch on and whoops - cocked up ! Ended up having to spend about another £100 for 3 x leading edge dimmer grid switches and a push to make switch for the other end 2-way (had some fun trying to wire it all up also) My fault that one so came out of my profit, but will know better for next time:19:

I always worked to quotes, never estimates. Overall it all worked out about right. Most i won on, a few i lost, and some broke even. And on rewires i usually had enough to play with to cover a couple of minor additions. That was a master stroke, the amount of recommendations and additional work i got by not charging extra for a socket here and there has more than paid for itself.

Cheers.............Howard

Reply to Unforeseen circumstances? What have you come up against...??? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net