Discuss Wet Locations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your original question answers this!

It does on the basis that BS7671 fails to require a faster disconnection time.

IEC61200-413 assumes 200 ohms in wet locations and allows for a maximum of 0.17 seconds.

1620436085000.png

Switches in most domestic situation tend to be on the outside ??
Yes, in my en-suite at home someone did that.
Everyone's free to do what they like of course.
My only point is that the commonly believed and followed "Thou shalt use grubby string to operate bathroom lights or put switch the other side of the door" law is utter rubbish in most situations.

Interesting post above from @Cookie that I'll try and understand when the kids are in bed tonight!

Yes, in my en-suite at home someone did that.
Everyone's free to do what they like of course.
My only point is that the commonly believed and followed "Thou shalt use grubby string to operate bathroom lights or put switch the other side of the door" law is utter rubbish in most situations.
I think switches on the outside are stupid, an excuse for party pranks, etc.

For most large bathrooms then a switch on the inside is perfectly safe, though obviously only if sufficiently far away from the source(s) of water like bath, shower, sink, etc.

I don't see anythinbg wrong with pull switches, you can change the string if manky ithout too much trouble as normally there is a plastic coupler ner the top. Various DIY places sell replacement string/knob for them. They make sense in compact toilet/shower stile places where you cant achieve a sensible safe distance in any practical manner (e.g. shower cubicle next to door, etc).

Looks like JW agrees with me! Part of the problem is, like in most rooms, who has just one light in a room any more?
I find that the average bathroom I fit out requires four switches minimum (downlights, downlights, mirror light, extractor fan). There can be electric towel rails and electric UFH on top of that.
It would look pretty silly with a row of (colour coded?) strings hanging from the ceiling.

Fitting a new pull cord switch and Fan isolator on Tuesday .Old lath and plaster ceiling .So plan to use a good switch and a piece of ply to act as a backing board above the old ceiling .Gives the thing more chance of never been pulled off .Proximity switches seem also to be a "thing" now

Problem is with some toilet cubicles that mean they don't really see you, and you get plunged in to darkness!
THIS!

Being sexist for a moment, it absolutely frustrates me in almost all public toilets they have one sensor in the ladies, so you just have time to sit down once in the cubicle before the sensor decides you are no longer in the room, and that is it, total darkness until you exit the cubicle!

Talk about not thinking how they work in practice...

I'd argue not having a socket in the bathroom increases the odds of an extension lead being used.
I would say the opposite. If someone can plug stuff in they will, if they have to rake around the garage to find the extension lead used for the mower, etc, they probably won't use mains powered stuff near the water.

But looking at it from the perspective of the legislation and professional electricians, if you fit a socket near a bath and it leads to a fatality you have to answer the inquiry about "Was that a safe thing to do?" but if someone takes in an extension lead and kills themselves it is out of your responsibility (beyond the usual circuit testing and provision of RCD protection as required by the regs, etc)

Several years back, I would regularly come home to find several extension leads snaking down the hall and disappearing under the bathroom door. The young lad couldn't have a bath without music on his phone and, as his phone was in constant use, never had sufficient power in its battery.

Tried explaining why this was a really bad idea, time and again, but nothing ever changed. I then took to unplugging the closest lead and ignored his protests. No hiding place was good enough to prevent him finding said extension leads, so they were permanently decommissioned.

I would say the opposite. If someone can plug stuff in they will, if they have to rake around the garage to find the extension lead used for the mower, etc, they probably won't use mains powered stuff near the water.

But looking at it from the perspective of the legislation and professional electricians, if you fit a socket near a bath and it leads to a fatality you have to answer the inquiry about "Was that a safe thing to do?" but if someone takes in an extension lead and kills themselves it is out of your responsibility (beyond the usual circuit testing and provision of RCD protection as required by the regs, etc)

How would they get killed with listed appliances and an RCD?

How would they get killed with listed appliances and an RCD?

Depends how sensitive they are and how strong their heart is etc. Plus the reaction of the shock may make people fall or bang their head. Just a few examples.

The point being I wouldn't want a 13A socket near the bath even if it was fed by an RCD. An RCD is not an excuse to allow potentially dangerous things to be done.

Reply to Wet Locations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net