Discuss What are the changes to PAT- new 5th Edition CoP in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have relented, and revisited the 5th Edition COP today as it was raining heavily...
My view is somewhat jaded, I confess...
OK, it's no longer PAT, and I get that. I have always tested, say, wall mounted radiators which are variously plugged in or wired in to a FCU. Frankly, the latter have often revealed really shoddy terminations, but that's another topic entirely.
Ok, no more "next test due" (that was already changed anyway) but now it's up to the dutyholder to decide on a testing interval, so he/she asks the tester...thus we have to decide, and who could blame us for referring to the test intervals previously suggested? After all, they were quite sensible for most cases, if you used a bit of common sense.
Now though, you have to justify the testing interval...I don't have a problem with that...I'm a grown-up and perfectly happy to state my case, but maybe the temptation is to state an interval just inside the previous guidelines? Me, I try to apply common-sense anyway, and often recommended longer intervals for some appliances...but then, that massive fridge/freezer is never going to move, is it? WRONG! It has been dragged into the garage since your last visit, and the cable has been abraded en-route...so, not my problem, right?
Oh well, we'll live with it...the Courts aren't exactly bulging with reparation claims over PAT...yet.
Next rant is...Calibration. Not just for PA Testers, but it's a good example. My tester gets calibrated every year, in November actually, so it is due soon. Now, I am not a busy working electrician doing loads of PAT stuff, but nevertheless I send it away faithfully every year, so I can a) be sure it is in good order and b) show any busybody that I have done all i can to ensure it is fit for purpose, thus deflecting any claims etc.
However, since last November I reckon I have tested maybe 50 appliances, as due to Covid i have had no work since March this year, and not many folks want testing done around Christmas/New Year. Here is my question: Would it be sensible for all testers to have a run-time indicator, so that, for example, you should have a calibration after say 1000 tests, or 2000 tests, or 500 tests? In other words, should calibration be tied to actual usage, rather than a time-line? Has my PA tester "drifted" while in storage in my cupboard, doing nothing? I ask this because I suspect that many "part-timers" like me will probably not bother with calibration if they have been devoid of work for a long time. Me, I'll send it off next week anyway...showing you have done it, and with a copy of COP 5th Edition in your bag, you can demonstrate that you have a "system in place" that keeps you up to date. Identifying, and indeed testing, hard-wired appliances, rather than just those with a plug attached, is the new "normal", and that's fine with me...but how many sticker-jockeys will bother/know how/care at all. I'm all for accountability, but I fail to see how the 5th Edition addresses the problems we all know exist.

You would think that folk would notice and stop using dodgy equipment automatically
Yeah, I've noticed that too.
I can't help thinking it's part of that "familiarity breeds contempt" issue. Everyone these days is used to electrical stuff being part of daily life and don't take a blind bit of interest in it as long as it works.
not really hard enough, it's a paperback...but a good substitute for the Women's Weekly (for those who remember Victoria Wood)
Ah, a true comedy genius. Sadly missed.
Ok, no more "next test due" (that was already changed anyway) but now it's up to the dutyholder to decide on a testing interval
I take it that's the no "next test due" on the sticker ?
IMO that's a really really stupid retrograde step. Without that, how is a user picking up an item to know whether it's in date or not ? I know there's an argument that items should never be out of date, but except for the very simplest of setups, there's no way on earth you can guarantee that - sometimes an item will be "missing", and often it'll turn up and go back into use when it's found at the back of a cupboard (etc).
I'll carry on putting next test due dates on stuff - partly because I've a large stock of stickers to use up !
Next rant is...Calibration. Not just for PA Testers, but it's a good example.
I do so little that I just use my MFT. I did forget to return the PAT when I left my last job, but that's playing up and it's not worth sending it in for service. I rely on my Calcard, and if someone wants to try and jsutify that both the calcard and MFT could go faulty at the same time, and in exactly the same (but opposite) proportions such that there's no change when checking - then I'll happily let them dig themselves into a hole.

No next test date on the sticker is a weird situation. People see the test sticker and as there's no date they will just assume it's okay to use. On the other hand some would see the next date due and just assume it's fine to use as that date hasn't arrived yet.The problem is people just pick up and use. If there was a big cut in the cable, crack in the casing etc it would be a case of 'it's got a sticker. It's fine'. No matter what's on the sticker the idiots will use it. I'm glad the only testing I do is for our departments tools and as we all work in the power gen industry we all have a bit of common sense (apart from Jeff!!)

No next test date on the sticker is a weird situation. People see the test sticker and as there's no date they will just assume it's okay to use. On the other hand some would see the next date due and just assume it's fine to use as that date hasn't arrived yet.The problem is people just pick up and use. If there was a big cut in the cable, crack in the casing etc it would be a case of 'it's got a sticker. It's fine'. No matter what's on the sticker the idiots will use it. I'm glad the only testing I do is for our departments tools and as we all work in the power gen industry we all have a bit of common sense (apart from Jeff!!)

Every place has a Jeff :)

Nope, long gone...but if you are intending to get into ISITEE then it's worth buying as there actually is some useful stuff in there, especially if you are new to testing

@Paul Cheney , your post has been edited to remove your personal email address. We would encourage you not to post personal contact details such as phone numbers and email addresses in public (to try and help you avoid spam etc.) and instead, use the private conversation facilities the forums provide.

Reply to What are the changes to PAT- new 5th Edition CoP in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock