Search the forum,

Discuss Whats happening with youngsters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Who raised this generation you're moaning about? Depending on your age it could've been you....so you dropped the ball....if not then its your children who raised this generation....so what went wrong???
Every generation likes to have a moan at the next.

At one time the elder generation looked at the Beatles and Elvis Presley as sexual bad influences to the young generation....

true I've met younger people than me who I think are bone idle but then I've also met some really lay about oldies

Who raised this generation you're moaning about? Depending on your age it could've been you....so you dropped the ball....if not then its your children who raised this generation....so what went wrong???
Every generation likes to have a moan at the next.

At one time the elder generation looked at the Beatles and Elvis Presley as sexual bad influences to the young generation....

true I've met younger people than me who I think are bone idle but then I've also met some really lay about oldies
We are not moaning about nothing and you are insulting us and I can say my kids turned out fantastic

I think it has got something to do with the generations personally, when I was growing up in the 80s it was hard for my parents to make ends meet, my dad was in engineering and my mum worked for local authorities as a librarian, they fixed things and kept hold of stuff till it would work no more, even clothes were passed down to my brother and sister. So now I have kids I don't want it to be as difficult for them as we had it so work hard just as my parents did to try and make life better for my children! And so the cycle continues, until now the kids have had it so easy they expect everything to come to them and life to be easy!
I agree with the discipline thing and respect, they have somehow got lost through the generations too!

Don't get me wrong we had a great childhood but looking back on it as a parent you can now see why it was good, as my parents didn't want us to go without just as their parents before did. I think technology has a lot to do with it too, when I was growing up we only had 3 channels and no mobile devices or internet! But we had real aspersions of a career that would last a lifetime and now have one, most jobs now are temporary or 0hrs, a lot of kids these days wanna be YouTube stars or famous. Ffs

The problem is that most of our memories are happy ones as those are the memories that stay. The ones full of positive emotion are easier to retain whereas other memories such as details without emotional attachment are more difficult to recall, and intense negative memories may get erased or suppressed.
It's proven that rose tinted memories are a psychological reality.

It's easy to forget there was plenty to moan about society in every era.
[automerge]1582999816[/automerge]
But we had real aspersions of a career that would last a lifetime and now have one, most jobs now are temporary or 0hrs, a lot of kids these days wanna be YouTube stars or famous. Ffs

Of course no child ever aspired to be like George Best, Mick Jagger, Evel Knievel, Douglas Bader, etc

Firstly hello guys, it's been a while since I posted or did any staffing but work is crazy which is leaving very little time for anything else, which leads nicely into the reason for this thread.
What's happening with the young electricians of today. They either seem to want the earth and its mother or seem really uninterested, I've been trying to get someone to help us out and its bloody hard work . I've been in talks with a young spark who 7 days ago all but said he wanted to come to us and wasn't happy where he was, I know the lad and offered him an immediate start but he's proving hard work to sort a start date.
Then another lad two weeks ago rang me asking for work to essentially finish his nvq portfolio so I offered him some work immediately only for me to chase him 2 days later where he said I've got a job so no thanks.
I'm not going to paint all youngsters the same but the ones I'm encountering lately leave a lot to be desired, the first question seems to be , how much will I earn, what other perks are there, do I get a van etc etc surely the 1st question should be asking about their duties
Good to see you back Glen. I was only looking at your profile yesterday thinking it had been a long time since you last wrote.

Reply to Whats happening with youngsters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net