Discuss Whats the difference between an Interview and a Formal Discussion? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I sent an speculative application out earlier this week to a local contractor, who have offered me a formall discussion about joining their company. Fantastic news :) but is there any difference between an interview and formal discussion?

Congratulations! But I'm afraid I have no idea what the answer is... Maybe you're the only one they're considering, whereas an interview may involve lots of people?

It may be the case that your Speculative CV landed on the right desk at the right time and even though they werent realy looking for someone they may have an opening with your name on it
as for the differance Id expect the discussion to be more like discussing possability of work GOOD Luck

It could well be i have a job for me who know. what i do know is i phoned their HR dept on monday they said there was no openings i did a bit of digging around on their website and found the contracts manager email and sent him my cv. Within a day i had a reply asking what times where best to meet. Looks like i could beat my record of last time around of being 3 weeks with out work. Hopfully i havent jynxed myself.

thats what job hunting is all about, the right place, the right time, your cv was there at the right moment, the more enquiries you make, the more chance of success there is. i wish my son would realise that !

definitely, I made around 50/60 phone calls, emails, letters in total, Ive had a couple of replies, 1 telephone interview, and 2 others asking for more details about my qualifications. I think theres work out there, if your prepared to hunt for it and keep badgering companies and youll get somewhere.

discussion to me sounds like they want to know your wage expectations and when you can start, I think you have got yourself a job to start asap by the looks of it, only ask 3 or 4 questions (pick them well) and spend the rest of your time listening to what they have to say and nodding now and then...wait for them to offer a handshake at the end of the meeting, as some people are funny about handshakes and you wont know if they are or not, you dont want to shove your hand out and make them feel awkward,wait for them to instigate, if they are a mister shaky handy man they will soon prod for one.....otherwise a no-no..
If you are driving in to see them, drive past the day before to figure out 1) how long it will take you to get there and 2) most importantly where you will be allowed to park the car, as you don't want to be 15 minutes late driving in circles trying to get a parking space....
Take a pen with you to fill out any forms as interview/meeting rooms in offices are usually just a table, a projector without anything plugged into it and a few chairs, take a thin folder with you with a copy of your CV inside it, a few sheets of blank paper and photocopies of some ID for their HR office to use to get you registered up so that they are in at the start, its always good to have a folder of some sort with you...

Mobile ON until you walk in the Gate, then Off before you walk in the door.

remember to say cheeri bye when you are leaving and you will probably get a phone inside an hour to ask if you can start the following Monday morning..

Good one :) :) :) :)

the subtlety is that it is a formal discussion NOT informal. Dress smartly and be smart. No jokes, show willingness and sell yourself and your achievements. Good luck

Another distinction between an informal and a formal discussion is that the company will expect to be able to rely on information you give during a formal discussion; e.g. statements you might make about experience and qualifications. If any of these turn to be false, they need to be able to terminate your employment.

Good luck with the 'discussion'.

Dress smartly.

Don't stink of smokes / booze.

Speak nicely, don't sware.

Be honest and be yourself.

Smile!

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say there isn't any difference in practical terms - treat it as an interview and you won't go wrong i.e. dress smartly etc as others have said

Good luck!

I sent an speculative application out earlier this week to a local contractor, who have offered me a formall discussion about joining their company. Fantastic news :) but is there any difference between an interview and formal discussion?

A formal discussion is more to do with the employer getting a feel for you, and sussing you out. In order to see what you think about things, expected salary and that sort of thing. Usually a very good indication that a job is in the pipeline mate. An interview is just a formal process - to see if you meet their criterior for a particular job that they are advertising.

I'm really pleased for you. By the way, today I was with my project director and he brought up the need to conduct formal interviews rather than informal discussions for recruitment and when asked what the difference was he said that legally an informal discussion can not be the grounds used by candidates for discrimination or prejudicial appointments. He said it was good practice for formal interviews to have 2 people to conduct an interview so that there are witnesses to the procedure. Anyway it's immaterial as the outcome was you got your job.

Reply to Whats the difference between an Interview and a Formal Discussion? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net