Discuss Will a CT clamped on meter tails, energy monitor, get distorted by solar input. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bignose2

DIY
Reaction score
V.early days, just had installed solar.
No battery, also supply of some parts difficult at the moment so no App or Online monitoring.

I have a loop energy meter, clamped on the tail of the DNO electricity meter.
Monitored use before solar & seemed pretty accurate.

Looking at the inverter output was getting 2kw at time of test. Clear sky, quite a lot of sun. only got half installed at the moment so 6 x 410 but full sun 12 noon 2550w on the inverter so 100%.
My background average draw in 900w (computers & low power stuff)
Loop says anything from 500w, did drop briefly to 40w but mostly just a few hundred off what I would normally expect. 600 or 700w. If getting min 1kw & more likely 2kw surely this should be close to zero & all the time. (no clouds coming & going)

Turned kettle on & loop straight up to 2.6kw (2.2kw kettle)
Still 2kw on the Solar Inverter.

I would have expected 1kw on loop at most with kettle & minimal 30-50w with nothing else.

Leads me to two questions, is it conceivable that it is recording back feed (or the difference somehow) into the grid (not set up SEG yet but think is a smart meter) I am thinking not as it did go up with the kettle on.
2) if this is the case how do you measure what the house is using

Not always easy to see what is being used in the house but fairly confident for most of the time.

Actually the installers have been great apart from their surprise that I would want all the information/data I could get about use, solar production, what's drawn from grid & what my demand is.

Got to get some option extras (CT clamp & bits) & they are reading up how to apply to my inverter. Hybrid inverters do all this standard.
To be fair perhaps not as important as if you have batteries but still at a glance would like to see eg. Solar producing 3kw, house only using 500w, lets put the washing machine on. or solar 3kw house using 2.5kw oven, lets wait for oven before putting washing on.

I wonder if they should have put a hybrid inverter in anyway, I was not keen on batteries now but did say perhaps in the future.
The frustrating aspect of grid tied systems is if it could have worked as a backup in case of power failure I think I would have gone for some batteries but little point if it all goes dead anyway

Any info. Sorry don't think my question is very clear

Does the inverter not have a screen to show you power generated and other info? A CT meter of any type on the tails will just state the current flowing , the inverter will feed excess back into the mains Your meter most likely will not show which direction the current flows, the most accurate way is to clamp AC cable from inverter though getting at 1 core could be tricky.

I just came across this thread from last summer!

There is much lack of knowledge and mis-information about AC power measurement/monitoring!

To measure real power (as shown by electricity meters) a Current Transformer (CT) is insufficient because without referencing the Voltage waevform it can only measure apparent power wich takes no account of power factor or if the flow is import or export!

Regards

Reply to Will a CT clamped on meter tails, energy monitor, get distorted by solar input. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net