Discuss Zdb ok but no R1 + R2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Delboy10

Hi All i know its late friday, but try and help me out with this one if you can.
Just got in now from work on the way home a landlord called me to ask if i could test a communal DB he has at an HMO.
I decided to have a look on the way home, long story short each flat was feed from this DB including the communal circuits(lights,sockets).
so i checked Zdb to each flat which was ok but when i did R1+R2 test on the supply cable to each flat i got nothing,tried to each flat and 4 out of the 5 came back with a zero reading.
Distribution board was contactum,each flat was feed from a 40 amp b type mcb (No RCD on DB).

Any thoughts as its got me wondering, the Zdb to each flat was ok but R1+R2 no reading at all.

each flat had a 10mm t+e feed from the distribution board,and yes i am sure i was testing each distribution circuit with the L+E linked out,

i am taking my readings from phase and earth to each flat from the main distribution board is dead with the earth and phase linked out.
i thought it might be my tester (fluke 1653)but i checked my own house when i got back tested fine,double checked the cal quickly witb my cal card.all ok.i have zs and ze for the installation,i will post those tomorrow as i am out at the inlaws at the moment so i will post it in the morning.

Even if hes testing with main earth and bonding connected, then removing them ain't going to make an R1 R2 figure appear.

Must be testing wrong, if submains are T and E then can't see how R2 can be lost

Last edited:
i agree with your post but i am positive i am testing it correctly,as i said in my original post,4 out of the 5 came back open circuit,but 1 which was the top floor flat tested ok R1+R2.
thanks for your input fellas i will try R2 method on monday and report back

Even if hes testing with main earth and bonding connected, then removing them ain't going to make an R1 R2 figure appear.

Must be testing wrong, if submains are T and E then can't see how R2 can be lost

But if he,s getting a Zdb reading he could be getting yhis through parrell paths of the bonding. When in actual fact he's got no earth. :thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

By any chance have you switched each mcb off and linked from the output of one mcb to the earth bar on the CU this would give you the readings you describe?

Reply to Zdb ok but no R1 + R2 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net