Discuss 1 way lighting using chock block in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marston

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
The lighting circuit im trying to fix looks like the image above, apart from the bulb has 2 earths coming from it but that shouldnt make a difference. Also at the dimmer switch the switch is in L2 and doesnt work in L1?
I took it apart as the dimmer switch only turns the light on and off.
When i first looked at the wiring at the bulb all 3 red wires were on the same side of the connector block with nothing on the other side, 2 blacks one side and N i think on the other side also 1 black one side L on the other. Which obviously looks nothing like the picture.
Also the person who previously did the work hadnt labelled any of the 3 t&e so i dont know what is the supply to the light, supply to the next light and the t&e that goes to the dimmer switch (dont have continuity tester and there are no labels at the DB and i know that its on the same radial as the hallway and front room and the wiring is complete mess at DB)
So i just thought by process of elimination i would get it to work. Which involved lots of possibly variations so lots tests (1 with 2 in 3 out(L1 then L2). 1 with 3 in 2 out etc(L1 then L2) etc).
After doing all of them it wasn't working. So if anyone can understand my problem and can help it would be much appreciated? thanks

What are you actually trying to do??

if dimmer does turn on and off but doesn't dim I'd make an educated guess that either dimmer is broken/faulty or the light you have might not actually be dimmable.

Why are you changing the wiring???

you don't actually seem to understand the concept of a 'chock block' if you think having all 3 cables on one side is an issue.

Call an electrician. I don't mean any offence by this...but you don't seem to have even basic DIY electric knowledge and electrics can be very dangerous

Oh yeah i did it all whilst it was live! no just because i have worded it badly doesnt mean i dont know what im doing, admittedly im a bit lost as its red and black not brown and blue and for lighting i only have knowledge of celing roses never dealt with chock block before. But some help rather than thoughtless arrogance would be nice.
Ill try to reword it - chock block old colours with a dimmer switch. Dimmer switch only turns light on and off, doesnt dim also its a connector block of 3 then 1 is seperate. I followed the picture above and rewired accordingly as best i could as i dont know what wires are supply in or out and what goes to the dimmer switch as i dont have a tester that can perform a continuity test any ideas (reasoning for doing it multiple times)?

It wasn't arrogance mate, at least not from me. Sometimes the best advice you can give someone is to leave things alone. Just because it was dead when you did it it doesn't mean it's safe if it works.
Do you, for example, have the necessary equipment to prove that there is a viable cpc at this fitting when you're finished? The same question applies if there are further fittings on the circuit after this one? Do you know what to do if the answer to the above is no.

By your own admission you dont know what you are doing?
Without knowing what cable is which you could be there all day trying different combos or end up doing something dangerous.
It matters not if its wired into a ceiling rose, a JB or chock block its all the same principal.
Ask a spark to come and rectify the wiring as he will have the tools to determine which cable is which.

As for the dimmer you may be trying to dim a lamp which can not be dimmed so it wont appear to work.

sorry, mate. without even basic test gear, e.g. multimeter, you;re pi$$ing the proverbial wind, up the khyber without a rifle. pay a spark a call-out fee.

I find it quite comical just how many people come on here for a quick fix for there problems an expect free quality advice! Because anyone can do a bit of electrical work its easy all you need is a screwdriver (neon) red to red black to black right?

What are you actually trying to do??

if dimmer does turn on and off but doesn't dim I'd make an educated guess that either dimmer is broken/faulty or the light you have might not actually be dimmable.

Why are you changing the wiring???

you don't actually seem to understand the concept of a 'chock block' if you think having all 3 cables on one side is an issue.

Call an electrician. I don't mean any offence by this...but you don't seem to have even basic DIY electric knowledge and electrics can be very dangerous

When you say "dimmer" do you mean the switch or the bloke who's trying to do the job?

Call your local plumber :phone:. Alternatively try this forum DIY and Home Improvement Forum - DIYnot.com. It seems more up your street as this is a forum for electricians to communicate with other electricians. Not for chancers to come on expecting free (and potentially dangerous, if you mess it up) advice from people who have spent years of their life learning to do these things.

Oh yeah i did it all whilst it was live! no just because i have worded it badly doesnt mean i dont know what im doing, admittedly im a bit lost as its red and black not brown and blue and for lighting i only have knowledge of celing roses never dealt with chock block before. But some help rather than thoughtless arrogance would be nice.
Ill try to reword it - chock block old colours with a dimmer switch. Dimmer switch only turns light on and off, doesnt dim also its a connector block of 3 then 1 is seperate. I followed the picture above and rewired accordingly as best i could as i dont know what wires are supply in or out and what goes to the dimmer switch as i dont have a tester that can perform a continuity test any ideas (reasoning for doing it multiple times)?

Im sorry you feel that but we are not being arrogant.

its not as simple as 'if the light works its fine'

you wanted advice we gave it. Dimmer could be broken. Light might not actually be dimmable. Get an electrician

I find it quite comical just how many people come on here for a quick fix for there problems an expect free quality advice! Because anyone can do a bit of electrical work its easy all you need is a screwdriver (neon) red to red black to black right?

................. and blue (blew) to Hell !!

You know I don't really blame the homeowner/DIYer for trying this if I'm honest. They're told every night by the goblin/estate agent or their equivalents that every tradesman is a lying thieving chancer who will take their eyes out and go back for the sockets later. They're also told by all and sundry (Tommy fing Walsh et al) how easy it is to do stuff around the house, factor in the sheds and their friendly, helpful assistants with their how to guides on everything and this is the kind of thing you end up with.
All we can do is offer the advice and hope people take it, if they do someone gets a call out and hopefully some new customers from the spin offs. If not, hopefully no one gets hurt.

Im sorry you feel that but we are not being arrogant.

its not as simple as 'if the light works its fine'

you wanted advice we gave it. Dimmer could be broken. Light might not actually be dimmable. Get an electrician

Why why why just listen to people and move on

I don't know what you mean Trev?
I once popped in to the B&Q shed for parts for a sunday callout and they had a big book of DIY on display on a lectern stand for everyone to have a look in. I must say I spent a very informative five minutes learning how to dig a shallow trench in the flower border down the side of the garden path then put a PVC conduit in the trench and pull a 2.5 T+E through it to feed my shed at the bottom of the garden!

if the term "light bulb" was good enough for edison and swan, then it's bloody well good enough for the likes of us. :74::sleep1:

Sorry but you don't have much idea what you're doing mate, call an electrician. You're looking at a cost of an hours labour.

Lol...It might take me an hour but for the rest of you lot it shouldn't take more than about 10mins.....but then I'm on an hourly rate with a hefty call out with walking aids...

Lol...It might take me an hour but for the rest of you lot it shouldn't take more than about 10mins.....but then I'm on an hourly rate with a hefty call out with walking aids...
It shouldn't take more than ten minutes but the minimum I charge for is an hour. I thought that was common.

It shouldn't take more than ten minutes but the minimum I charge for is an hour. I thought that was common.

Yes, Its always an hourly charge with a call out charge and then per 1/4 hr after that.

Its a reasonable deal for both parties on small jobs but soon builds up when you're on a maintenance job

Reply to 1 way lighting using chock block in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net