Discuss 2-way switch... my head hurts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mjward

DIY
Reaction score
Don't know if it's because its Friday or a long week but my brains have turned to mush trying to figure this out.

In a nutshell: I have a downstairs hallway pendant with a 2-way switch. Fantastic. Well, no, both switches are on the ground floor. I want to add a switch to the top of the stairs (and at the same time add a second light fitting for stair lights). One of the switches is currently 2-gang (for hallway and landing) and that is the location I want to keep (and will make 3-gang to accommodate stair lights). The other switch is currently 3-gang (for hallway and 2 study lights) and I want to make it 2-gang for just the study lights and relocate the second hallway switch to the top of the stairs.

The problem: From what I can tell, it is the second switch, i.e. the one I want to (re)move that is the one with the feed to the hallway pendant.

I was wondering if the below would work:

1) Remove all hallway pendant wires from second switch (the one I don't want)
2) Then at that location, connect the wire that was in the COM terminal (and heading to pendant) into one of the wires that was in L1 or L2 (doesn't matter which) via a wago connector
3) At the first switch (the one that is staying) run a 3 core and earth to the new switch location. Connect the corresponding L1, L2 & COM together and then also connect the cable in 2) (i.e. going to pendant) into L2 on the first switch.

2-way switch... my head hurts Hallway switch v2 - EletriciansForums.net

So to simplify the description a bit...
You have a hallway pendant, and two switches for it downstairs.
You want to lose one of them.
You want to add a switch upstairs.
You also want to add a 2nd light fitting to the same switching.
Correct so far?

I think you describe the same solution, but here goes:

You want to end up with new 3 core+E connecting all three terminals of First Hallway Light switch with the new switch upstairs.
In addition you need a permanent live feed connecting to L1.
You then need to use one of the current conductors between the two downstairs switches to transfer switched live from L2 at the remaining switch to the pendant.

(So the two wires currently in COM should end up in L1 with the new wire)
That is stage one.

Stage 2, the extra light.... the other consideration here is where the neutral is coming from. You could use L2 at the switch upstairs as a switched live to the new fitting, but you'll need a neutral from the same lighting circuit as the hall too from somewhere.

Does that help?

So reading it again, basically what you said! I couldn't follow it until I'd arrived at the same conclusion for some reason....

As long as we got to the same place I am delighted!
Re the neutrals, its an old system where you have the single & earth running from switch to switch for the live feed and the neutrals go from light fitting to light fitting. So for the new stair light circuits I have the choice but I think makes sense to tap into the downstairs neutral, that way the landing switch and things it controls are all on the same downstairs circuit.

Yes, you should tap into the downstairs neutral. That way if the two circuits ever end up on different RCBO's or different halves of a dual-RCD board it's future proof.

In fact whilst in the subject, would love recommendations for stair way LED lights.

Something I had fitted to the last place, small round recessed lights (around 3cm diameter), warm white, white surround would be perfect.

But, I'm struggling to find anything similar, most seem to have a stainless steel surround (guess intended for outdoors) and are quite large lights.

In fact whilst in the subject, would love recommendations for stair way LED lights.

Something I had fitted to the last place, small round recessed lights (around 3cm diameter), warm white, white surround would be perfect.

But, I'm struggling to find anything similar, most seem to have a stainless steel surround (guess intended for outdoors) and are quite large lights.
3cm?

White All LED 30mm Dia 1W IP44 LED Marker Lights 3000K - https://www.bltdirect.com/all-led-30mm-dia-1-watt-ip44-led-marker-light-warm-white-white-finish?cat= ?

Ps i'm interested in the cable of unknown origin.
Haha you and I both. I assume it was a bit of future proofing ie it's gone somewhere the previous owner/spark thought might be an eventual termination. Alas for now it's just a black and red wire connected via a chocbox?

Not sure if you've seen some of my other posts but long story short, moved into this house a few months ago and the electrics are "intriguing"! Sadly I can't even blame a DIYer as it was all certified.

quinetic recievers and switches
Corr just had a quick look at those. Smart tech and I suspect that or something similar is the future. Have the home as one giant Faraday's cage, where your phones are charged simply by being inside and lights/switches etc all get their power wirelessly.

For now I'd be happy if they invent cable clips that glide through brick?

Corr just had a quick look at those. Smart tech and I suspect that or something similar is the future. Have the home as one giant Faraday's cage, where your phones are charged simply by being inside and lights/switches etc all get their power wirelessly.

Dont get me started on cable clips

There's a white brick around my part of the world, that was used for a hundred years or so, known as a Marland brick.
NOTHING penetrates them. The carbide tips just melt off of the ends of SDS bits, and the edge of diamond discs just melts a shallow groove into the brick.

There's a white brick around my part of the world, that was used for a hundred years or so, known as a Marland brick.
NOTHING penetrates them. The carbide tips just melt off of the ends of SDS bits, and the edge of diamond discs just melts a shallow groove into the brick.
Ill guess I'll be grateful for my almost impenetrable 115yr old Yorkshire brick!? At least it reluctantly succumbs to an SDS!!

Reply to 2-way switch... my head hurts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock