Discuss 20s gland into wiska reducer problem in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan Carroll

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Help please.
Firstly the kit I'm using.
Wiska 607 box. 25mm knockouts.
4mm 3 core swa.
20s gland
Wiska 25-20mm reducer
Secondly the issue.
The 20s gland is to short to show thread through the reducer, this means I can't fit either a banjo and locknut or an earthing nut.
The Wiska earthing plate, ec607, is 25mm so wouldn't maintain the ip with a 20s gland.

So what can I do?
It seems i need a long 20s gland or a 25mm gland for that swa.

I'm sure someone has come across this issue before.

Long thread versions of SWA glands do exist, e.g.:

or replace wiska box with one with 20mm entrys.
Thought about that. But I'd just fitted it and can't be bothered taking it all off. It has 6mm T&E, 2x 4mm flex and 4mm swa. So i went for this one for the size. I'm still learning, obviously, but this might be the only option.
P.s. do you live on here, that was fast
[automerge]1591557819[/automerge]
Long thread versions of SWA glands do exist, e.g.:
Need outdoor, but my god they look expensive. If rather the faff of changing the box.

Thought about that. But I'd just fitted it and can't be bothered taking it all off. It has 6mm T&E, 2x 4mm flex and 4mm swa. So i went for this one for the size. I'm still learning, obviously, but this might be the only option.
P.s. do you live on here, that was fast
[automerge]1591557819[/automerge]

Need outdoor, but my god they look expensive. If rather the faff of changing the box.
i always bin fast. I'm a scouser. you have to be fast to avoid the fuzz when you got a bag full of knock-off gear.

25mm banjo and you are away?

Presuming the m20 to m25 adapter is metal, not plastic!

Cant you just use an unbranded adaptable box?
It looks like this is the path I'm going to have to take.

So next question then would be.
I know it's best practice to earth the swa armour at both ends, but you can do it at one end.
Can that end be the load end?
Obviously if you had a long swa run it would make the return path far too long, but I'm only using about 7m of swa.
This way I could keep the box on the supply end the same. Large to accommodate the cables and use a small one with 20mm knockouts at the load end.

25mm banjo and you are away?

Presuming the m20 to m25 adapter is metal, not plastic!
Was wrong footed by the same problem last week which left me scratching my head. As James suggests, I ended up fitting a banjo on the outside sandwiched between the SWA gland and reducer. Not perfect but got me out of a hole. Moral of story, check materials before heading on site!

See what your saying but, the reducer is plastic and even so the reducer sits flush in the box and the gland sits below so nothing to fit a gland and locknut to regardless

Use a metal reducer instead of plastic and use an earthing nut.

Or put a long nipple through the reducer you've got, fit an earthing nut on the inside and a coupler on tbe outside to run the gland in to.

Or use a nipple to fit a galvanised through box to the wiska box and fit the SWA gland to that.

Use a long whisk gland kit.
Do they do one speficially for this issue of using their plastic reducer? A 20s with a long thread would be good. My knowledge is limited so don't know ask the good places to look?
[automerge]1591630247[/automerge]
Use a metal reducer instead of plastic and use an earthing nut.

Or put a long nipple through the reducer you've got, fit an earthing nut on the inside and a coupler on tbe outside to run the gland in to.

Or use a nipple to fit a galvanised through box to the wiska box and fit the SWA gland to that.

Using a metal reducer might be a simple and easy solution. I'm going to get some when next in town and try it out. Just need to get that and then a 25mm earth nut (only have 20mm)

Reply to 20s gland into wiska reducer problem in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock