Discuss SWA too short ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I will add a few points in addition to others concerns of exposed single insulated cables.

You tell us the supply is TN but what I was getting at is whether is is TNS or TNCS, this can matter, it may mean you garage requires equipotential bonding installed or isolation from electrical earth and rodding as a TT set up.
-Do you have a metal structure or support to the garage that is attached to the ground?
-Do you have any metallic pipes like service pipes (gas - water) coming up through the ground into the garage?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions then you may need to take specific measures in your earthing arrangements in the garage.
To note here that this will not be a concern if the garage is structurally part of the house and not a separate entity away from the house itself.

I will add a few points in addition to others concerns of exposed single insulated cables.

You tell us the supply is TN but what I was getting at is whether is is TNS or TNCS, this can matter, it may mean you garage requires equipotential bonding installed or isolation from electrical earth and rodding as a TT set up.
-Do you have a metal structure or support to the garage that is attached to the ground?
-Do you have any metallic pipes like service pipes (gas - water) coming up through the ground into the garage?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions then you may need to take specific measures in your earthing arrangements in the garage.
To note here that this will not be a concern if the garage is structurally part of the house and not a separate entity away from the house itself.
Hi

it is seperate at back of garden . No metalic structure /support to ground .
no metalic pipes only a plastic MDPE water pipe.

The electrician who did the intial 1st fix work didnt ask to get a steel rod on the shopping list he left me .So i am assusing that he is using the main earth supply via swa 3rd core

I will confirm with the electrcian when they come to energise and test the installation /supply as i dont have knowldge of testing and havent invested in the equipment yet .

Is there a way to distinguish between TNS or TNCS or is it only via testing ?

thanks

Confirm it with the Electrician, I didn't realise you were in tally with an electrician, don't worry about the supply characteristics then as this should have also been taken into account by your electrician, in hindsight it would have been better to get them in to do the extended joint as in its present state it would not comply as others have mentioned.

The CPC and neutral are connected to the same block of brass in the DNO service head on a TNCS system, so any Ze you measure at the CU will be just the resistance of the two tails, which for a 'normal' set up will be very close to zero.
On a TNS system, the connection point between the two is further back the line, so you should be able to measure a significant resistance.

Reply to SWA too short ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock