Discuss 2919-01 vehicle charging points course in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi have been looking into the city and guilds 2919-01 electric charging point course to become olev registered and approved by ROLEC. I have phoned up to enquire about the course etc, but i’m wanting to know has anyone else done the course and do you get much work through it? I’m qualified, 18th edition and have my testing so they say i can become registered with olev. Only thing is i am not niceic registered but they say this is not a prob but surely to sign the charging points off i would have to be? Just looking for more advice before i spend the money and time doing the two say course. Thanks

Hi - I’d think you would usually be adding a 32A circuit for EV charging. If you are working at a domestic residence this will require notification under Part P of the Building Regulations. And this is easier if you are a member of a CPS.

With a domestic ev charger, you need to notify it to building control and the dno. building control unless you want to pay silly money requires scheme membership as per the part p.
for commercial ev installs, there is no building control involvement but rolec wont approve you to install them which is an olev requirement unless you are niceic approved contractor or other schemes equivalent. they will also require part p scheme (niceic,elecsa, stroma,napit) to get approval for the domestic chargers.
you could of course install commercial chargers without any of this by buying them off the shelf but you wont get the £500 subsidy from olev so will not be price competitive.
personally, i think the course provider is telling you what they think you want to hear to get you signed up for the course.

With a domestic ev charger, you need to notify it to building control and the dno. building control unless you want to pay silly money requires scheme membership as per the part p.
for commercial ev installs, there is no building control involvement but rolec wont approve you to install them which is an olev requirement unless you are niceic approved contractor or other schemes equivalent. they will also require part p scheme (niceic,elecsa, stroma,napit) to get approval for the domestic chargers.
you could of course install commercial chargers without any of this by buying them off the shelf but you wont get the £500 subsidy from olev so will not be price competitive.
personally, i think the course provider is telling you what they think you want to hear to get you signed up for the course.
Yep thats what i am thinking, is there money to be made in it? Just wanting to try get a head of the game and get it out there that i could install these charging points but as you say will need be registered to niceic or equivalent. I’m wanting to make the move to set up on own but not got the work as yet an can’t really advertise as not niceic or equivalent registered so just looking for advice and to see if anyone thinks the course is worth doing.

Reply to 2919-01 vehicle charging points course in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net